Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine Failsafe prog..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Andym

Engine Failsafe prog..

Post by X5Andym » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:01 am

E53 4.4 (2005 41k) Engine failsafe prog.. keeps coming up... what is the issue how to fix.. please... 👍 having just spent 5k at an BMW main dealership having my ECU unit, starter motor and other bits now, they gave it a health check what ever that is.. still have a issue... any help would be great... lovely car so do not want to bin it yet... :!:

Thank you very much..

:thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Engine Failsafe prog..

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:50 am

A code check should show up an error code for whatever is upsetting the engine. It could be any one of a number of issues such as fuel rail pressure, ignition coil pack, injector, wiring fault, sensor (oxygen, airflow, temperature etc), timing (VANOS), bad earth between engine and body, and those are off the top of my head.

If a dealership has had the car and not fixed it I would be demanding money back or they fix it without doing their usual ‘change anything until the fault clears’ as so many are want to do!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Themoog2

Engine Failsafe prog..

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:06 am

Having just gone through the agro of engine / trans failsafe on mine maybe I can give some advice..
Is yours engine failsafe or trans failsafe?
I would look toward the ABS module as they are at the top of the hit parade for failure and causing the failsafe.
I can be checked with a multimeter but it can be daunting if you are not sure. And they are located in a place that's tricky to access. I got mine out via the headlight void..
Proper diagnostic scan is required first by preferably someone who knows a thing or two about E53 E39 E46 models.
Obviously it may not be the abs as there are many things that can cause this issue but that's what has caused it on 2 of my bmw's and a mini.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Engine Failsafe prog..

Post by henrym3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:06 pm

You need a decent code reader so you can tell them what you need fixed as they will just throw parts at it and give you a load of bs as to why it costs so much. Have you had any previous work done like timing chains or vanos, a tooth out or vanos not reset properly will give engine failsafe as will cam position sensors throttle body etc etc. ABS module seems to be integrated with every bloody system and never sets a fault code for itself instead it tells you a wheel speed sensor has failed where in reality it isn’t reading the sensor therefore sends the wrong info to gearbox input which then set a gearbox fault. But when everything works it’s a great vehicle. Stick with it. However if I’d just payed 5k I’d want it back working. Good luck. Definately if it’s still at a garage/dealer I’d want a fault code number. If it is the ABS module there are places that will repair and give a lifetime warranty. Don’t buy new.