Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How do I remove the outside mirror black plastic frame?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: How do I remove the outside mirror black plastic frame?

Post by storminmike » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:05 pm

[quote=""Turks""]How do you know if the mirrors are heated? I thought I had heated ones on mine but they don't seem to clear when misted or wet which is really annoying... both of my 5 series had them and the only explaination I can think of is that the element / glass is damaged behind.

DON'T get a stick on one!!

Turks.[/quote]
How do you know if the mirrors are heated?

There were two wires behind that I could see when I moved the mirror by hand to clean the innards of glue
The snow melted (slowly) when it was errrr....snowing :D

Still can't see how they come off. I guess they errrrr pop off with leverage....anyone?

Annoyingly the nearside dips down (the glue must have stopped it) when in reverse.... a bit too much for my liking but I can't seem to customise how they dip

In reverse they dip...if I flick the joystick switch over to nearside to play with settings it cancels the dip

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:12 pm

@Turks - think all UK bound X5's had heated mirrors buddy. The mirror has two wires going into the back of it. Check the usual, fuses, the fact they are connected to the pins, etc.

@storminmike - grab the mirror ONLY and push up. The mirror will then clip off. Dip is a bit too low on mine but at least that nearside one works (as long as the sliding switch is to the drivers side mirror).
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]@Turks - think all UK bound X5's had heated mirrors buddy. The mirror has two wires going into the back of it. Check the usual, fuses, the fact they are connected to the pins, etc.

@storminmike - grab the mirror ONLY and push up. The mirror will then clip off. Dip is a bit too low on mine but at least that nearside one works (as long as the sliding switch is to the drivers side mirror).[/quote]

Cheers Sanj

Push up as in try to slide it up...or push up as in bend it outwards from the bottom edge?

As for the the dip...yes, the switch is set to offside so the nearside dips. Never thought to try to see if offside dips if switch is nearside...perhaps it doesn't

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:13 pm

[quote=""storminmike""]Push up as in try to slide it up...or push up as in bend it outwards from the bottom edge?[/quote]

First bit - slide it up only, grab it from the bottom edge. Not outwards! It will go and possibly scare you - doesn't release, you apply a bit more pressure, nothing, then a bit more and then BANG, just don't jump or apply over zealous amounts of muscle!

Dipping mirror is only for nearside. And always gets stuck after time. Just get behind it and squirt some WD40 or equivalent to get it to loosen up, all that dirt and crud just gets the joints all stiff (bit like me)! :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

[quote=""Sanj""][quote=""storminmike""]Push up as in try to slide it up...or push up as in bend it outwards from the bottom edge?[/quote]

First bit - slide it up only, grab it from the bottom edge. Not outwards! It will go and possibly scare you - doesn't release, you apply a bit more pressure, nothing, then a bit more and then BANG, just don't jump or apply over zealous amounts of muscle!

Dipping mirror is only for nearside. And always gets stuck after time. Just get behind it and squirt some WD40 or equivalent to get it to loosen up, all that dirt and crud just gets the joints all stiff (bit like me)! :roll:[/quote]

Cheers...I wont be practicing though util I get a new one :D

I imagine there's a special BMW too for it... a bit like a ruler under the bottom edge that levers it off :D

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Give it a gentle tease - oooeeerrrrr...

You might find it comes off easy - just watch when it does come off, you catch it! The wires will still be connected but I hate not being able to hold on to it!

Remember: blue is the non photochromatic one (brown otherwise) AND make sure you get the blind spot line in it to match the other side.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:56 am

[quote=""Sanj""]@Turks - think all UK bound X5's had heated mirrors buddy. The mirror has two wires going into the back of it. Check the usual, fuses, the fact they are connected to the pins, etc.
[/quote]

Cheers Sanj, I thought they should all have it. I just noticed that mine didn't seem to clear anything in the winter just gone. There isn't any indicator to tell you that they aren't working unless you notice them not clearing.

I'll investigate when I get back in May. It is just in at the Dealers at the moment having some engine work done!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black