Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

General car related chat
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread ( Keep related chat here please)

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:30 am

Winter Tyre and Rim recommendations: BMW OEM

I’ve made a summary of the official BMW recommended wheel and tyre combos for X5s as per their June 2010 Brochure……..

There are usually many posts about winter wheel issues over the Autumn / Winter months so this is an effort to keep all of them in one ongoing discussion thread so that info is easy to find and does not have to be repeated ad nauseum.  The idea is that we maintain an open discussion on the subject of winter wheels which can be updated or added to as time goes on.

Please remember that these are just guidelines and do not represent an endorsement of what should or should not be done to your car – that is for you to decide alone or in consultation with a dealer / mechanic.
I am certainly not an expert in any matters pertaining to wheels and tyres and speak only as an owner/driver of an E53 X5 who has done some research on appropriate and safe winter driving.

I'll of course try to help with any queries, as will other technically more knowledgeable forum members, I am sure, and we'll build up the knowledge base in time.

Hope I’ve covered most of the most obvious questions!

E53 X5: models 3.0D, 3.0i (NOT the V8 models)

EDIT: 4.4 models apparently excluded - 17" rims fit as per Lez' post below. So all E53 models except 4.6is and 4.8is suitable for 17" wheels. Obviously if brake fitment has been modified with oversize Brembos etc, this will change things. All recommendations assume standard factory brakes.

TYRES: 235/65R17 
RIMS: Star Spoke 57
OFFSET 7.5J X 17

E53 X5 4.4, 4.6 and 4.8 models (17” rims will NOT clear the brakes on these models)

TYRES: 255/55R18
RIMS: Star Spoke 99
OFFSET:  8J X 18

Note that Runflats are NOT recommended for ANY E53 model.
Tyres recommended by BMW include Continental 4x4 Winter Contact  in 17” fitment and Dunlop Grandtrek WTM2.

E70 MODELS:

Note that runflats are officially recommended for E70 models.
18” and 19” Combos are recommended for E70s:
18”:  Cross Spoke 177,  Offset 8.5J X 18, Tyres 255/55R18
19”:  Yspoke 211 , Offset 9J X 19, Tyres 255/50R19

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

1. Will other rims fit other than those mentioned above? 
Yes, most OEM 17” rims will fit the diesel and 3.0i models, but worth checking if other members have any direct knowledge of the particular rim. For instance, the original Style 56 Ellipsoid rims fit and are usually sourced for a modest sum.  Non-OEM rims and those from other vehicles such as Range Rovers are a minefield and best left to individuals to decide upon, so not included here.

2. Which make of tyre is the best?
We all have individual preferences, but dedicated winter tyres from any major manufacturer are suitable and price and availability will in some cases determine the choice.  I and many others are great fans of Vredesteins, but there are winter tyres available from all major manufacturers all of which are suitable for purpose.

3. Can E70 wheels be bolted straight onto an E53 X5?
No.  It is possible to use E70 wheels on an E53 but you will need the correct spacers.

4. When must I change to winter wheels?
Generally, when temperatures outdoors fall to around 7 degrees C consistently – winter tyres are a softer compound and perform at their best below 7 degrees C, although they are perfectly safe to leave on a vehicle at any time.  It is said that the tyres will wear quicker in high temperatures and that “performance” will not be as good, although this has certainly not been everyone’s experience. Most people change wheels to winter sets around November and change back to summer sets again around April.

5. Can I stagger the fronts / rears to get a better “look”?
Probably, although not recommended. The winter wheels are the same on all four corners – no staggered fitment.  Some people have fitted rear spacers to give the appearance of staggered tyres, but this is up to the individual and not endorsed by the forum.

6. When should winter tyres be renewed?
Winter tyres should be changed when they get to 3-4mm depth, unlike summer rubber which can go to 2-3mm.  Be aware of this if buying part-worn tyres – most sellers are optimistic about tread depth on these, and any tyres of 4mm or below will last at best for only a single season.

7. What about a spare wheel if a winter tyre is punctured / damaged?
Probably good practice to have a matching spare winter tyre available (I doubt most of us do) - the spare wheel in the car (for those who have a spare) can be used for a short period (up to 50 miles) to get the car to safety, but obviously winter and summer tyres should not be used on the same axle or the same car in combination at any time.  Availability can mean no winter tyres available for months on end in winter, so even a part-worn “spare” winter tyre can be incredibly useful if you have the space to store one at home as chances are you would not be able to find a replacement in the middle of winter.
Last edited by CondorX5 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

MJim

Re: Winter Tyre Info

Post by MJim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Many thanks for posting that CondorX5 !

Do you know why it's not advised to use staggered wheels for winter use. I for example have the 19in staggered M wheels on an E70 (255 front 285 rear from memory). Whilst I may invest in a separate set of wheels for winter use, what would the harm be if I just put winter tyres on these?

If I did get separate winter wheels, do you know what size would I need to clear the brake calipers on my 40d? Do I need 19s as a minimum?

Finally, any recommendations on storage providers for the unused set ? I see that BMW offer a hotel service but seems to be quite pricey?
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Winter Tyre Info and Discussion Thread

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Aaaargh! Just as I thought I'd answered most of the usual questions :)

Use of staggered wheels in winter: firstly, you want winter wheels to be as narrow as possible with as much sidewall as possible -12" wide sleds on the rear will always compromise the snow and ice performance of the car, even when on dedicated winter rubber, so narrower is better, in order to get the best possible "bite" into the slippery surface, hence the recommendation for that. You will also find the cost of very large, wide winter tyres to be extremely high, if they are actually available in the first place, especially in their runflat form for an E70......so may end up more cost effective to source a dedicated set of the smallest wheels your car can take and use all four same tyre fitment all round

I have no first-hand knowledge of the E70, but I am sure one of the other forum members will be along about the wheel size on a 40d. The two recommended sizes are 18" and 19" and I think a 40d may need the larger size, but I couldn't tell you for certain. Please update us when you find out so we can add it to the knowledge base!

Storage: Consider using a local secure, lockable self-store unit / container on a self-store container park, possibly, if you have no space at home, or no space you could cadge from family or friends - bear in mind that the wheels and tyres are quite an expensive investment, so best not just left in an insecure garden shed or lying about in a back garden somewhere as they may go "missing" at some stage. UV degeneration also something to consider with wheels lying outdoors in all weathers for months on end. BMWs "hotel" service is nice, but a bit gimmicky as not all main dealers offer this (no space) - and you have to buy the wheel/tyre combo from them to qualify (very pricey). I think the purchase price includes a years storage and swop-around fee, but its bound to be pricey - the tyres/wheels combos direct from BMW are not cheap in the first place and will incur storage and fitting fees after the first year unless you broker a special deal with the dealer.

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:16 pm

oh dear!!!
Have been running 17" rims and tyres on my 2002 4.4 for 18 months now , so according to this , they should NOT fit.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:21 pm

The 17's are recommended winter rims for all E53's except 4.6is & 4.8is, these require 18's due to larger brakes on E53 " i.s." models.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:50 pm

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtop ... 8&t=125596

Just spotted this in case anyone's interested (if they're still available).
2004 E53 3.0D Sport
2016 F25 X5 35D MSport

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I have 20" on my E70 and bought a genuine set of 19" for winter use. They are staggered so I assume 9" front and I think 10" rear ........ is that the standard sizes?

Know its 255 tyres for front and generally 285 rear, but would 255 rear suit to keep the width down for winter conditions or would these be too narrow?

MJim

Post by MJim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:04 am

That's a whole inch narrower tyre vs the wheel. I know some people have done that, but I'd be very careful. It may invalidate your insurance and I'd be concerned re the stability of the tyre on the wheel under heavy cornering and it's potential ability to slide around.

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Going to go with 255 front and keep the wider 285 at rear.

MJim

Post by MJim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:23 pm

What is the best way to store wheels whilst not being used? Flat on surface or upright? At usual pressure or higher / lower? Is it okay to stack 4 wheels on top of each other, or given the weight of runflats is this best avoided?

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I think it depends on how long you are going to be storing the wheels for - best practice I am told is to have them upright with nothing touching the rubber or the rim all round, supported on a rail of some sort, but most people don't have the room for that. I've always stored mine flat, fully inflated, with protection between each wheel when stacked, so they don't get damaged, and never had a problem. Maybe its more of an issue with very high performance racing cars.

Nicky P

Winter Tyres

Post by Nicky P » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Guys,
Sorry if this has been already covered, just reaching 3k mark on my new 40d. I'm moving from an M3 saloon because of bad winter experience regarding road handling.

This is my first 4x4, can anyone advise if I require Winter tyres even though I have 4wd now that we are going into season. The current tyres are Contis all weather I believe ????

dirtymonkey29
Snr Member
Snr Member

Winter Tyres

Post by dirtymonkey29 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:47 pm

What size are on it? Are they staggered?

Nicky P

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by Nicky P » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 pm

[quote=""dirtymonkey29""]What size are on it? Are they staggered?[/quote]

Bridgestone Runflats
F = 275 / 40/R20
R = 315 /40/R20

staggered - not sure ??

dirtymonkey29
Snr Member
Snr Member

Winter Tyres