Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello poping in for some info ;)

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hello poping in for some info ;)

Post by x555 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Hello strangers been a while.
Though I would rear my ugly mug and pose a question to you guys.

After a brief scan at the boards I see some of the old faces are still around  :) and also Sanj is still doing all Jigs work for him....and still moaning about it lmfao.
My post count is still in the top ten I notice  :o and hope my old how too's are still helping out.

Anyway lads/lasses I have a problem with a pano roof on an e53 (not mine I must add  :( it's a customer of mine and being just about the only thing I haven't taken apart off the x5 lol I said I would ask on here for him)
His rear roof section (small piece) will not go down causing the main roof section to raise back up when lowered. I Have checked the fuse board for him and swapped them over but didn't have any joy.
The front piece will operate on the button but returns to open and will not stay shut also the blind still operates forward and backwards.
Any help on this would be much appreciated guys.
I know there was a big thread started on this a few years back one of the fellas bought the parts and did a self fix but I can't find much info on here i'm guessing it must have been on the old forum  :(
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Hello poping in for some info ;)

Post by Chompers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm

[quote="x555"]
Hello strangers been a while.
Though I would rear my ugly mug and pose a question to you guys.

After a brief scan at the boards I see some of the old faces are still around  :) and also Sanj is still doing all Jigs work for him....and still moaning about it lmfao.
My post count is still in the top ten I notice  :o and hope my old how too's are still helping out.

Anyway lads/lasses I have a problem with a pano roof on an e53 (not mine I must add  :( it's a customer of mine and being just about the only thing I haven't taken apart off the x5 lol I said I would ask on here for him)
His rear roof section (small piece) will not go down causing the main roof section to raise back up when lowered. I Have checked the fuse board for him and swapped them over but didn't have any joy.
The front piece will operate on the button but returns to open and will not stay shut also the blind still operates forward and backwards.
Any help on this would be much appreciated guys.
I know there was a big thread started on this a few years back one of the fellas bought the parts and did a self fix but I can't find much info on here i'm guessing it must have been on the old forum  :(
[/quote]

Hey x555, good to hear from you :ok:

As for the roof issue  :cry1: that sounds like its "catle trucked" rear section up is a classic sign that the cartridge needs replacing IIRC
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Welcome back you old dog!

Rear section (I think) can be manually placed in the closed section nd then you can only use the front part - not sure, as I don't have that option but there is a thread on THIS forum for sure.

How are you buddy, all well I hope.  :)
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 pm

You too fella been a while  :ok:
Are you still wearing them dodgy shirts then Chomps  :P

Yeah doesn't sound to good for him  :( i've just been trawling and found that it could mean a new casette as you say mate. Ohh well i'd better finish up my job and get the bill into him before giving him the bad news  :o  :))
Just found an old post and it was Alfamale who did the right up but on the old forum!!!!

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:10 pm

[quote="x555"]
You too fella been a while  :ok:
Are you still wearing them dodgy shirts then Chomps  :P

Yeah doesn't sound to good for him  :( i've just been trawling and found that it could mean a new casette as you say mate. Ohh well i'd better finish up my job and get the bill into him before giving him the bad news  :o  :))
Just found an old post and it was Alfamale who did the right up but on the old forum!!!!
[/quote]

Feck off for that comment  ;) had enough of PVR and his side kick Sanj still going on about THAT  >:D

Anyway, yes cassette required at £2k IIRC  :'(  Alfamale was the man, he did a really nice job of the Toledo Blue V8  8)
Current
Previous

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm

All good thanks Sanj  ;)
Ok then if I can close it up for him that will be helpful mate. Got to shoot out now so I'll find out that post later....unless my old mucca will dig it out for me  ;) ha ha started to sound like jig then....Saaaaannnjjjjjj can you help me  ::)
Will have to have a catch up at some point fella it's been far to long ....and i'm pretty sure it's your boody round  :P

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Try this, thisand thislink - they have further links but may help.

Alfamale - now that makes me laugh!

I'll dust the wallet off. But Jig is quite flush at the mo!  ;)

Oh and sidekick - I was there and I still have the pics (that pvr would dearly like to have). And the nightmares!!!  >:D
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Ha Ha Chompers there still banging on about that then!!!

Lummox

Post by Lummox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Funnily enough I have the same problem with mine and a friend of a friend who is a senior m-tech techician at the local stealers says that it is a very common fault and it is caused by a little plastic peice of the mechanism in the nearside rear corner of the cartridge that snaps. You can get a repair kit for them but to fit it you have to remove the full cartridge and he has advised that refittinf the cartridge afterwards and getting it to seal correctly is a complete PITA. He said that the repair kit is exactly the same as the original and therfore is no stronger so it may snap again in the future. He said the repair kit is approx 250 quid and a full new cartridge is about 1000. I did read a post somewhere about a guy offering a workaround where you can disable the rear panel so you can still tilt it but only the front panel goes up.

Craig
2004 54 plate 4.8is X5 E53 facelift in Carbonswarz-metalic.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Nice one Sanj I'll have a scan through them later  :)

Thanks for the info Craig much appreciated  :ok:

Miss my x5's they were great cars but don't miss the repair bills and part costs  :o

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 pm

[quote="Sanj"]Oh and sidekick - I was there and I still have the pics (that pvr would dearly like to have). And the nightmares!!!  >:D
[/quote]

Was a good day/night though  :P
Current
Previous

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 pm

[quote="Chompers"]
[quote="Sanj"]Oh and sidekick - I was there and I still have the pics (that pvr would dearly like to have). And the nightmares!!!  >:D
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fantastic - the best night we ever had, agreed!

Hope Jon can sort another night soon!

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
[quote="Chompers"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fantastic - the best night we ever had, agreed!

Hope Jon can sort another night soon!
[/quote]

I have a nice plain white shirt ready to go  :))
Current
Previous

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:49 pm

A reminder of that night - for old times sakes...  :)

Lee4.8is

Post by Lee4.8is » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
A reminder of that night - for old times sakes...  :)

[/quote]
You guys certainly know how to have a good time!  :beer2:
Current...E90 330i M Spt Blue/Black  2006
              640d M Spt Blue/White 2012

Previous...
Audi TTS Black 2012
E53 X5 4.8iS  Blue 2004
               E92 M3 White 2009
               E85 Z4 MR 2006
               E61 520d  2009
               E90 330d  2006
               TVR Cerbera 4.5 1998