Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

McLaren P1

Non BMW X-Series related discussion
jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

McLaren P1

Post by jaynana » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: McLaren P1

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Excellent find.  Really enjoyed the frank honest approach from the McLaren Test Driver.  So wish I had chosen to be a journalist at school now!  found Chris to be very knowledgable, so much more then the mainstream motoring journalists. 

Great looking car, mean, moody and so very capable.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 pm

Very nice.  I know I hate to ask......but how much?  And no I can't afford one. :o

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 pm

great vid!! Chris Harries is a great driver / presenter.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Are you guys missing the new series of Top Gear?

Go back two episodes and you see one, oh and £800k.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
Are you guys missing the new series of Top Gear?

Go back two episodes and you see one, oh and £800k.
[/quote]

The new what?  Same lame format just different cars.  I have even come to the point of turning TG off as it's become cringe worthy.  just how gullible do Clarkson and Co, think the public are?

Don

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:11 am

+1 on that, at least change the format?

On the P1 - unbelievably great feedback on this car all around.

Did you notice though, no lap times yet, not even from top gear!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:16 am

Couldn't care less about TG - just the fact that I get to see some cars is all I care about...

Apparently there's a Porsche equivalent (918) coming too (which TG is testing) and then they're looking to do some timed laps.

P1 I fell in love with quicker than I fell in love with my wife...  :-[ :-[
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Imy

Post by Imy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 am

TG is all about being relevant with its demographics. Sure alot of people complain about it but out of watching Clarkson tearing a track in a P1 or Nedell talking about the practicality of boot space in the new Volvo and how hard wearing the leather is so great for the kids... I know which one I would much rather watch.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:39 am

[quote="Sanj"]
Apparently there's a Porsche equivalent (918) coming too (which TG is testing) and then they're looking to do some timed laps.
[/quote]

yeah and then there's this. one of these 3 will win the top spot this year.

Ferrari must be scraping their brains on somehow beating the P1 now!  :-[

its all a hybrid world now, from F1s to super cars!

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am

[quote="Imy"]
TG is all about being relevant with its demographics. Sure alot of people complain about it but out of watching Clarkson tearing a track in a P1 or Nedell talking about the practicality of boot space in the new Volvo and how hard wearing the leather is so great for the kids... I know which one I would much rather watch.
[/quote]

Needell you mean? he's an ex-racing driver. he does attempt to get into the boot of cars doesn't he..  :)) but i certainly respect his views and reviews of cars! i'm not anti Clarkson either just that the comedy show they do.. it is just that to me.. a comedy.

as for the demographics thing - my take on this - TG didn't come to command a global audience based on the comedy aspect. it was the car review aspect with a 'touch' of comedy. Needell and the lot were in fact in TG at one point, they left when TG was discontinued.

anyways, all i can say is - i hope TG are reading the feedback from their global audience... its probably even time for some new blood not just a new format!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:19 am

Haven't watched TG for years.... :yawn: :yawn:

Long since past it's best and really does need a crew and format change.  It just isn't relevant to modern motoring now.

R
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Imy

Post by Imy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
[quote="Imy"]
[/quote]

Needell you mean? he's an ex-racing driver. he does attempt to get into the boot of cars doesn't he..  :)) but i certainly respect his views and reviews of cars! i'm not anti Clarkson either just that the comedy show they do.. it is just that to me.. a comedy.

as for the demographics thing - my take on this - TG didn't come to command a global audience based on the comedy aspect. it was the car review aspect with a 'touch' of comedy. Needell and the lot were in fact in TG at one point, they left when TG was discontinued.

anyways, all i can say is - i hope TG are reading the feedback from their global audience... its probably even time for some new blood not just a new format!
[/quote]

I think the point gets missed here somewhat.
TG brings super cars to tv. I am not really interested in their review of the cars because quite frankly I dont have £800k to spend on a Mclaren - but I do enjoy watching the cars themselves, being driven hard and in some weird conditions that some nutter in the BBC has thought of. I know there is a lot of cack that goes with it as well.

I also disagree that its popularity is declining. With the younger generation its growing - perhaps the older generation it is because you all remember the days of 'Needell' trying to get into the boot of a Volvo.
Its global audience is bigger than ever, I got alot of friends in America who watch it and are big fans, they all hate the US version and wait to watch our version over there.

However somewhat off track from original topic - the P1 is immense!

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:03 pm

one down (918), one to go (LaFerrari)!