Using the AV out on rear of arm rest?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Roy2593

Using the AV out on rear of arm rest?

Post by Roy2593 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone used the AV out for viewing the TV in the rear of your car? Is it as easy as plugging in a 3.5mm jack connected to the rear monitors via rca phono leads?

Thanks,

Roy.

bullethead

Re: Using the AV out on rear of arm rest?

Post by bullethead » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Nope....Awaiting Sanj for definitive answer :poke:

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes.

Or you can get more pro and splice into the switch and put one/two phono connectors in, so the rear screen connections can plug into it. Remember to go for the AV out - front screen gets the signal and passes it 'ou' to the rear screens...

(Oi - bullethead you ugly sod, best not be getting that M3! SMG box is big bucks if it goes wrong!)
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Roy2593

Post by Roy2593 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi Sanj, what do you mean by splicing into the switch?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Open the switch up and you'll see 4 pairs of thin wires. They correspond to audio in, audio out, video in and video out. Just have to take a phono cable, cut the end off, take the inner and outer wires on it and join them to the video out (sorry, can't remember which one's, been a few years...). You can then take the phono connection from yourear headrest screens and connect them direct to your newly created connection.

OR - you can get one of these...

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/bmw_av.html

My way is free and I'm as tight as they come!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Roy2593

Post by Roy2593 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 am

When you say 'switch' do you mean the actual little AV panel on the rear of the arm rest? How do i go about getting into that mate to get to the wires?

I realy fancy doing that to be honest,a good idea!!

Cheers,
Roy

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:10 am

Yes that's what I mean by the switch. Open the armrest lid, take out the tray (just glued down) and you'll see two screws at the top next to the hinge arms.

Undo these and the whole back panel will come out (to the back, away from the vent). Voila, access to the switch and you can unlip it to make access a tiny bit easier.

I used a portale DVD player with an aux input/output to check which cables were which. No worry of blowing anything either - just watch you don't flatten the battery!

Good luck...

Roy2593

Post by Roy2593 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Nice one,i will try this! I tried putting a 3.5mm jack into the AV out into my screens (connected with rca plugs at the rear) i got a picture but got no sound!! Wonder why this is?
Any idea?

Roy

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

[quote=""Roy2593""]Nice one,i will try this! I tried putting a 3.5mm jack into the AV out into my screens (connected with rca plugs at the rear) i got a picture but got no sound!! Wonder why this is?
Any idea?

Roy[/quote]
Me too :?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:32 pm

All to do with the cable you used!

They are different on the ends! I have two, one for Panasonic and one for Sony - one works and one doesn't...

Get a number of them from Maplins with the intention of returning them all once you've put them to good use.

Roy2593

Post by Roy2593 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm thinking of buying the phono lead adapter to plug in line with the TV module, but where is the TV module located?
Thanks, Roy.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm

It may be to do with the number of rings on your plug!! Ooh err. :P

Stereo leads only have three, AV leads should have at least 4 and sometimes the width of the ring can be the issue, other times it's what each one/s connected to.

Not 100% certain, but I thought the module was in the boot behind (nearest the rear) the battery under that black plastic cover?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kena

Post by kena » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm

[quote=""Roy2593""]I'm thinking of buying the phono lead adapter to plug in line with the TV module, but where is the TV module located?
Thanks, Roy.[/quote]

It's in the boot under the spare wheel and black plastic cover, on the right hand side. It's the one with 2 plugs, 1 white and 1 blue.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm

[quote=""Roy2593""]I'm thinking of buying the phono lead adapter to plug in line with the TV module, but where is the TV module located?
Thanks, Roy.[/quote]
In the boot mate under the spare wheel and german helmet next to the battery ;)

here... Image
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Roy2593

Post by Roy2593 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks guys, might order the cable as i have a spare phono cable running into the boot from ny screens!

Thanks again, Roy.