Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

new x3 test drive booked

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
fenj66

new x3 test drive booked

Post by fenj66 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 pm

hi all, i was down the local stealer today for a few parts and got caught by a salesman as i was noseying over a new x3.

well, one thing led to another and i felt obliged to let him talk for england, anway, he felt i should have a test drive of the new car.
so although a new one is way past my means, ( i forgot to tell him that), i thought it would be nice to take him up on the kind offer as i have a free day thursday.
the new car certainly looks nicer than the old model and almost as big as my e53 but with 50 mpg on offer it cant be ignored.
so i will let you know my thoughts after a good test run! :|
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: new x3 test drive booked

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Be interesting to know what you feel about the car when you complete your 'play'. It's a nice looking motor and a vast improvement over it's predecessor. Our dealer has one in a very pale golden silver, but I can't remember the actual colour and forgot to get a brochure :paper: :telloff:

Shame it's only available as a 4-cyl diesel at present but given the bhp that may not be so much of an issue. I was looking at one over Xmas and was surprised at just how big they now are. I think it's only an inch shorter than the E53 and there probably isn't much difference height wise either (without roof rails). If and when the 6-cyl appears I can see that being a bit of a goer too. Isn't that platform the base for the much rumoured X4 (Baby X6)?

I suppose that the new one had to be upsized to make room for the X1, and that's why the new X5 and X6 are bigger too. It wasn't until I got my X6 home that I realised just how much wider and longer it is than the E53. It won't actually go through the standard garage door, and is too bl@@dy long. With the Style 214 summer wheels fitted it is technically (actually may not be technically, it may be an 'is not') not allowed in the 6'6" only lanes in roadworks either. It's only 2mm narrower than that with the standard 19" wheels on.

Have fun anyway................. :driving:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

windy

Post by windy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah, I was happy with my black diesel E53 until we moved to our new office and now I have to park it next to the MD of the business downstairs... who drives a black diesel E70 :headbang:

Looks 'meatier' as well as larger.

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 pm

I went to my dealers launch of the new X3 a couple of months ago and convinced myself it will be replacing my X5 when I retire it in a couple of years.
As you say, it's almost identical in size to the E53 and with all the toys like an 8 speed gearbox and low RFL I won't be bothering with an E70 which is too big for my needs, even getting a large dog in the back!
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 pm

well, i had my test drive today in the new x3. and i must say im very impressed!
the cabin did feel smaller than the e53 although from outside it appears a similar size. i liked the controls and dash layout, the extra dials in the dash are a welcome return instead of the miserly 2 big dials on the e70. and the middle display panel is there as standard even if you dont want the £2k sat nav which is nice.
driving:- and the 8 speed box was seamless. it never actually felt like there were any gear changes it was that smooth.
the 2.0 engine felt it had to be worked hard though to get anywhere fast but was fine for trundling around. the book figures show it as quick as my 3.0d but it felt nowhere near as fast to me. and i could notice the diesel clatter on idle from inside which i didnt like. but a heavy 4x4 returning up to 50mpg whilst still being nippy is a big step forward!
i noticed from the brochure that a 3.0d is due april with up to 47 mpg and 0-60 in 6.0secs. so that could well be worth waiting for.
would i buy one?.. no, but then i never was going to, not new anyway.. maybe in three years when they start rolling through the auctions! ;)
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Interesting, glad you liked it. The 8 speed box is a bit of a beauty isn't it. I have it on my X6 and it feels like continuous power from start until you run out of revs.

From your comment about the 4-cyl engine, it sounds like the 6-cyl will be the answer - but only for those with the funds.

I also liked the fact that it has a temp guage - not having one on the X6 worries me as it means I have to trust the computers. At least the 40d had a dipstick put back in though - not mentioned in the Owners Manual though ;)

Minda

Post by Minda » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:24 pm

+1 on the 8 speed box its smooth!

[quote=""X5Sport""] At least the 40d had a dipstick put back in though - not mentioned in the Owners Manual though ;)[/quote]

I aint got a manual dipstick its on the idrive :headbang: or am i just just not looking hard enough?
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm

You have to open the bonnet for that :poke:
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:53 pm

[quote=""Minda""]+1 on the 8 speed box its smooth!

[quote=""X5Sport""] At least the 40d had a dipstick put back in though - not mentioned in the Owners Manual though ;)[/quote]

I aint got a manual dipstick its on the idrive :headbang: or am i just just not looking hard enough?[/quote]

I haven't got mine back from the body shop yet, but if you look to the right rear of the engine there may be a black round tipped rod sticking up. Pull the plastic top and you may have a dipstick in your hands (or if you grab the wrong bit, an expensive repair :cry: ). No red cover, and nowt in the manual. Having talked to the Service Manager to say "woss this mate? Coz s'not in the book" we went and had a look and he pulled it out and said summat along the lines of "well blow me down, there's a dipstick fitted! Wow". :D. He didn't know it was there either. When I get mine back I'll put up a piccie.

Minda

Post by Minda » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:48 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""][quote=""Minda""]+1 on the 8 speed box its smooth!

I aint got a manual dipstick its on the idrive :headbang: or am i just just not looking hard enough?[/quote]

I haven't got mine back from the body shop yet, but if you look to the right rear of the engine there may be a black round tipped rod sticking up. Pull the plastic top and you may have a dipstick in your hands (or if you grab the wrong bit, an expensive repair :cry: ). No red cover, and nowt in the manual. Having talked to the Service Manager to say "woss this mate? Coz s'not in the book" we went and had a look and he pulled it out and said summat along the lines of "well blow me down, there's a dipstick fitted! Wow". :D. He didn't know it was there either. When I get mine back I'll put up a piccie.[/quote]

Thanks mate, whens it dew back?
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 pm

I thought all e70/e71's had the dipstick behind the steering wheel ;) :poke: :rofl: :exitright:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm hoping I might get it back very soon. Went to the shop last Weds and the repairs were approved on Tues his week. I guess it's down to how long it takes to get the parts, spray em, bake em and fit em.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 pm

[quote=""x555""]I thought all e70/e71's had the dipstick behind the steering wheel ;) :poke: :rofl: :exitright:[/quote]
:voodoo: :evil: :telloff: :nahnah:

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:46 pm

HA ha ;) ............ minda's still outside now checking behing the wheel :driving:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Minda

Post by Minda » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:34 pm

[quote=""x555""]HA ha ;) ............ minda's still outside now checking behing the wheel :driving:[/quote]

Went looking but couldn't find you anywhere :P and its cold out, so back in the warm now