Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

13 Pin Towing Socket

Barry-C

13 Pin Towing Socket

Post by Barry-C » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Purchased a new X5 with the "All electric" tow bar but it has only 10 pins connected in the 13 pin socket.  Studying this forum I see contributors were complaining about this a year ago.  Nothing has changed.  BMW UK are saying it is down to the dealer.  The dealer says they were unaware of this problem and blame BMW UK.  So far it has cost an additional £275 that I think BMW UK should reimburse.  There is nothing in any BMW sales literature, price lists etc. which indicates the tow bar is incomplete.  Looking at what was said one year ago it seems that some people had their wiring put right free of charge, and others have had to pay. 
>:(

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 13 Pin Towing Socket

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:11 pm

My Dealer didn't know about it but as I ordered the car with all the wiring, it was fitted as a 'repair kit' under warranty.

You should have had yours free too.  It's a BMW fault as they chose not to fit UK spec cars with the correct electrics.  It seems to be only a UK problem.  BMW UK are trying to pass the buck, but it is their error and as you say there is no mention in any sales brochure.  It affects every BMW and Mini model in production as well as the earlier series.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

allforus

Post by allforus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:26 pm

I too had bmw pay for the towing electrics upgrade as soon as it was available think you just need to stamp you're feet a bit if bmw won't then give the dealer a kick
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

Barry-C

Post by Barry-C » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Success, after writing increasingly strong letters, and going up the BMW chain of command, BMW UK have agreed that my point was valid, are going to review the wording in the brochure, price list etc, and sent me a credit note for £350.00 to spend on anything BMW at a BMW dealer.  Not quite as good as the cash, but I am more than happy. :) :) :)

Claudeyboy

Post by Claudeyboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Barry-C can I ask if your X5 is an Msport? as you like you I have the electric tow bar (ORIS) have you had any problems attaching your caravan to the car?  My caravan two hitch hits the bumper when I turn the car!  Have not even got to sorting the electrics yet.  Keith

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Now that raises an interesting question and scenario....

In the bumph for my caravan (and also i have heard in some insurance small print...)
If you have an ALKO hitch stabiliser then you MUST have an ALKO approved towball / bar.

These usually have a longer neck and stand out from the car a little more to avoid the fouling of the hitch to bumper.

The ref to insurance was that one I heard had their bar inspected, after their van decoupled, to ensure its an ALKO approved item.....

So the question..
Is that towbar suitable for the ALKO stabiliser hitch, and is it covered under your car / caravan insurance for such a scenario?????
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:57 pm

From ALKO website:

Towball/Stabiliser minimum clearance distance:

AKS 1300 = 65mm
AKS 2004 = 67mm
AKS 2007 = 60mm
AKS 3004 = 68mm

This measurement is taken from the centre of the towball to the nearest point of contact with the towing vehicle.

Insufficient clearance will prevent the stabiliser from correct articulation and could damage your car or possibly become detached.

Sounds like yours may be too close.  The EU minimum clearance requirement is 65mm from ball to the nearest part of the car.  Have you got that minimum?  BMW have most likely gone with the EU spec so you need a modification.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry-C

Post by Barry-C » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi there Claudeyboy and Steamyrotter.
  My X5 is an 2014 SE 3.0 d with the all electric Oris tow bar factory fitted.  I have not as  yet towed the caravan, (Sterling/Swift Elite 480 ) but I have sized it up and I think that when coupled up  there will be about an inch (25mm) between the hitch head and the back bumper under all conditions.  I note what Steamyrotter says re insurance etc, and feel that there should be no more  reason why the 'van should detach from the Oris bar as  opposed to the Alko hitch, the important part being the actual ball diameter and surrounding clearance.  Either way, there is not much I can do as the Oris cannot be altered, and there must be hundreds in use without trouble, so I will attempt to not think about it," head in the sand" fashion.
Barry. :) :)

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:15 pm

on a side note is the a 13 pin- 7 pin adaptor?  looked at the ml towbar other day and the socket is the 13 pin? i didnt realise this would be on a 07 car? its a mercedes genuine towbar, just everything id ever tow is 7 pin, although i nearly always use my van
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:36 pm

Yes there are a couple of types depending on what you tow. If you tow a trailer and just need the lights to work then one of these will do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Towing-S ... 4897.l4275

If you tow a caravan and need a fridge and battery charger to work you need one of theses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-PIN-PLUG-T ... 1545317074
x6 M50d

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:58 pm

cheers, yeh the first type as just a trailer
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

Claudeyboy

Re: ORIS ELECTRIC TOWBAR PROBLEM

Post by Claudeyboy » Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Barry-C and Steamytrotter, Barry-C I think because your X5 is an SE it has a slightly smaller rear bumper than my MSport so you will probably be OK...it is very obvious when you attach the van to the car, the slightest turn of the car proved that the Alko hitch would hit the bumper.  Just had extra pins wired up for £65 local tow bar man and he ordered the pins from ORIS in Germany too so fridge and charging now work. No response or compensation from BMW still and its with their Puma technical people!!! Not impressed

chatuge

Post by chatuge » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:42 pm

How do I tell if my 13 pin is also wired wrong without attaching anything to it? Can you tell by looking at it?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:52 am

No, you need to meter it through.  Either that or open the socket and see which pins have nothing on.  If it's a factory fit, it will be incomplete.

Pin 10 will usually be dead, but should have 12V on it when the engine is running.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlpinaB3S

Post by AlpinaB3S » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello

I am a newbie who discovered this forum when searching for something on this subject.

I have just bought a new X6 40d Msport with a factory towbar to pull my caravan and have the same issue with the electrics on the fridge so assume that BMW haven't put the full electrics on as per previous comments. I am now concerned about the tow bar clearance as well. I have the same ALKO 3004 Hitch which required 68mm clearance. It looks ok when the caravan is attached and I have measured the clearance and it seems to be 68mm so right on the limit.

Is the X6 Msport bumper the same as the X5 ?

Any help appreciated?

Good forum too by the way