Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

interior front light and head console removal

How-To articles ONLY go here.
fenj66

interior front light and head console removal

Post by fenj66 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:47 pm

i have always wondered how easy it would be to remove the front centre overhead light and console but have never had any need to, untill today!!!!!, so after a lot of faffing about and feeling like i was about to snap the light module removing, i think ive cracked the methodology. and very easy once you know how! ::)

if you only want to remove the light cluster, DONT try and pry it out from the cluster surround its a very tight fit and most probably will snap. instead-just behind the light cluster is a square infill. this needs to prised out with a small flat bladed screwdriver or trim removal tool if you have one. it should come out very easily.

once this is popped out of the way just put your finger inside the console and feel forward to the light cluster, there are two metal spring tabs which need to be pushed and the lights will then just drop out.

the wire to the light cluster is very short so best to disconnect it if your changing bulbs etc.

if you need more room or just want to remove the entire console itself, it can be easily removed by first prying out the alarm sensors which is the large section at the rear of the cluster, this again comes out easily with a small flat screwdriver or the like.
with this out the way there are 4 T10 screws holding the console in place, 2 under the alarm sensor section and 2 under the light cluster section. once these are out the console should drop away with just wiring to the various plugs needing unclipping.
you can see the damage to the light cluster surround from trying to prise it out directly!  >:(

reassmbly was straight forward. just a shame i couldnt find a switched 12v feed under there to power my dash cam!! :'( :'(
Last edited by fenj66 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in