Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leaking roof

cozycoupe

Leaking roof

Post by cozycoupe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:17 am

I opened the passenger door of my X5 at the weekend to find water on the passenger seat and the footwell was wet too.  Not good.  I found that water was dripping from the sun visor and near the vanity mirror light. 

I've had the car for a month now (it is a 65 plate) and this is the first time I've discovered water on the passenger seat.  We've had plenty of rain during that time.  The slight difference here was that I was in Malvern at the weekend and the car was parked on an incline with the passenger side being the lowest point of the car (if that makes sense) so the water would run to that corner.  There were some heavy rain showers over the weekend while the car was parked.  Also, on our 2 hour journey back home after the weekend it was dripping still when the car was in motion.

I assume the panoramic roof was closed properly because the blind was fully closed and I didn't notice anything sticking up out of the roofline.  I'm not sure that is a fair assumption though.

After doing a quick search online and thinking logically I believe there is a good chance it could be associated with the panoramic roof.  I've read that sometimes the drains can become blocked or could have a kink in them.  I don't know for sure.  If anyone has any ideas then I'd be happy to hear them.

I booked the car in with BMW to get it looked at under warranty but I'll have to wait until 23rd September.  Hopefully it won't leak much before then.

I wondered if anyone else had come across such an issue.  I'll keep you posted as to what the issue was if BMW do indeed find an issue.  It will be harder after the event of course but I took some pictures and a video:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5ui13unhge6e0j/AADxg1Mn4UlLqVP1g5jcxuVca?dl=0

Thanks

mogsyman

Re: Leaking roof

Post by mogsyman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:59 am

[quote="cozycoupe"]
I opened the passenger door of my X5 at the weekend to find water on the passenger seat and the footwell was wet too.  Not good.  I found that water was dripping from the sun visor and near the vanity mirror light. 

I've had the car for a month now (it is a 65 plate) and this is the first time I've discovered water on the passenger seat.  We've had plenty of rain during that time.  The slight difference here was that I was in Malvern at the weekend and the car was parked on an incline with the passenger side being the lowest point of the car (if that makes sense) so the water would run to that corner.  There were some heavy rain showers over the weekend while the car was parked.  Also, on our 2 hour journey back home after the weekend it was dripping still when the car was in motion.

I assume the panoramic roof was closed properly because the blind was fully closed and I didn't notice anything sticking up out of the roofline.  I'm not sure that is a fair assumption though.

After doing a quick search online and thinking logically I believe there is a good chance it could be associated with the panoramic roof.  I've read that sometimes the drains can become blocked or could have a kink in them.  I don't know for sure.  If anyone has any ideas then I'd be happy to hear them.

I booked the car in with BMW to get it looked at under warranty but I'll have to wait until 23rd September.  Hopefully it won't leak much before then.

I wondered if anyone else had come across such an issue.  I'll keep you posted as to what the issue was if BMW do indeed find an issue.  It will be harder after the event of course but I took some pictures and a video:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f5ui13unhge6e0j/AADxg1Mn4UlLqVP1g5jcxuVca?dl=0

Thanks
[/quote]

Hmm, not good  :(

I'm sure it's an easy fix and as you say logic would suggest blocked pipes or similar.

Would be good to know the outcome once the dealer has had a look.
2019 F90 M5
2019 Porsche Macan

Previous

2016 X3 20D M Sport
2016 X5 M50d
F10 M5
120D M Sport
335i DCT Vert
997 C2S
30D M Sport X5
2.0D M Sport X3
535D M Sport
4.8iS X5
3.0D M Sport X5
320D M Sport Cab
996 C2 Cab
Boxster S
Golf GTi (150 D)

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:04 pm

This is from the E70 forum
http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... #msg137009

but something similar may be the case in the f15 - although as you mention the water was also on the seat it seems less likely.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

cozycoupe

Post by cozycoupe » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:30 pm

[quote="kenniff"]
This is from the E70 forum
http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... #msg137009

but something similar may be the case in the f15 - although as you mention the water was also on the seat it seems less likely.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link.  I had a similar issue on another car in the past.  I'm pretty sure this one is something higher up as the water was coming through the headlining. 

There was rain over the weekend and yet there was no leak.  I also washed the car and there was no sign of water.  I think it was something to do with the attitude of the car - i.e. being on a slope so the water would run forward.

I'll keep you updated when i have more info.

cozycoupe

Post by cozycoupe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Well, I took my car into Sytner Maidenhead and they tell me they found the problem and have fixed.

Apparently the front passenger side drainage pipe/tube from the panoramic roof was pinched against the front wing (not sure you can really see but here is a screen grab from their update video):

They re-routed the pipe/tube and say it should all be fixed.  They also replaced the passenger sun visor and some electronics (light fitting i assume) as those had suffered some water damage. 

I won't know until I next park the car at an odd angle and it also rains!  I was impressed with the service - but will reserve full judgement until I'm sure there is no water coming in.

Fingers crossed it is all good.

BTW - they lent me a 2 series Grand Tourer for the weekend while the car was in (work on Friday needed to be continued on Monday) and I was pleasantly surprised.  It was a 2.0 petrol.  It managed to fit in the three child car seats just about.  But I was very pleased to be back in the X5.  Sometimes you don't realise how good things are until you don't have them for a while.