Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nav function not available / CIC not coded

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Livelee

Nav function not available / CIC not coded

Post by Livelee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi.

I picked up a 2011 x3 at the weekend.  Unfortunately it has an issue with the sat nav.  See photos, when the nav button is pressed I get the function not available message and also navigation is greyed out within the menus.  I'm annoyed I didn't notice before I left the garage.  Issue being i'm based on the Isle of Wight and the garage is a ferry and 200mile round trip away for me to "pop back" to.  I've been to a local garage and they have a snap on diagnostic machine.  Photo attached showing the errors.  I've spoken to the garage and they said the screen in the car has been replaced and looks like it has lost it's code.  They will put it right at their cost.  I'm imagining a main BMW garage will cost a fortune and the garage might not be too keen on paying.  So.  Is this something I can sort myself?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Nav function not available / CIC not coded

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 pm

You may need a set of key codes that are VIN specific and encrypted.  Let the Dealer handle it for safety.

The CIC system uses a series of licence keys and they are specific to your actual vehicle and it might call for them.  Some coding is straightforward but other stuff can be tricky unless you have these key codes.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Livelee

Post by Livelee » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:01 am

Good info, thank you.  Dealers it is. :)

Livelee

Post by Livelee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Cross post from another forum....Took it to the dealers, they were clueless. :(  I have now got the latest idrive updates (not sure what it's added) but I dont have nav still.  Any advice on where to go next?
Hi

Thanks for your time and hopefully *somebody* can help me out :)

Bought an x3 a month ago from an indy dealer and the nav is not working.  It's greyed out in the iDrive menu and when pressing the physical nav button it displays a message saying Function currently not available.

The dealer I bought it from has been very good, unfortunately I live on an offshore Island and it will be an expensive long trip to return it to them.

They have told me the screen has been replaced and it needed to be coded to the car.  With this information I booked it into my main BMW dealership (yesterday) for them to code the screen and return the nav functionality....

They got the car at 08:30, at 15:00 they called me to ask why the car was there as they couldnt find a fault!  I explained about the nav not working and they said it does not need to be coded but they will do it if I insisted.  Oh and it will take 4 hours but they will only charge me 1.  (garage I purchased from paying so not an issue)

I collected the car this morning with the fault still there.  The dealers do not know the issue, they said the screen might be faulty but didn't appear to have a clue.  They offered to keep the car for as long as it took time and £ wise until they could fix the fault.  I declined their generous offer. :rofl:

When I was leaving I noticed the job sheet so I asked if I could take it.  Here it is.  You can see the errors on page 3 and 4 where it mentions the nav system.

They have upgraded the iDrive software, it says on the sheet and the menus are slightly different.

Checking my VIN it states that the car came with "S609 Navigation system Professional"

This evening i've taken it all apart in a hope that there was something not plugged in.  Unfortunately there isn't, unless there's another module somewhere that i'm missing?

I think that's it :)  any further information then please ask.  Not sure where to go next.  :dunno:

Help please :cry:

Many Thanks

Dan

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am

Exactly which offshore island?  You show a UK flag but Sirius is a US satellite radio system not available in the U.K.

Has the head unit been swapped over in which case you need the right FSC code and that needs to come from BMW themselves in order to enable the navigation function from the on board computer.

Your VIN is for a 2012 US Market E70 X5 35Dx as well so something is very wrong here.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Livelee

Post by Livelee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

The Isle of Wight  :))

I know the screen has been changed, but I don't know about the main "box"

Using my VIN on here it returns the right car:

https://www.bmwvin.com/

confused . com now :)
Last edited by Livelee on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

I used the last 7 of your VIN from the screenshot and it came back with an X5 on Realoem - bit worrying if that's wrong!!  Re entered it again and it comes back correct now!  I hate IT!!

Any idea why the CIC was replaced?  If it was done by BMW then it should all work as they would have put the correct FSC in.  Certainly worth contacting BMW GB to see what they say.  It almost seems as if a replacement unit was sourced but is the wrong market version?

PS:  I would edit out the full VIN as 'unwanted' persons can read it.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Livelee

Post by Livelee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

I dont know why the screen was changed.  I just assumed it was damaged.  Not done by BMW.  So are you saying one of the components I have is not from a UK car?  The screen or the box (excuse my terminology)

Everything except nav appears to work fine.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 pm

One of your images has 'Sirius' written in it which makes me think it is a US market variant rather than EU, that and the lack of a CE mark anywhere also be raises a caution flag.  If the work wasn't done by BMW then whoever did it seems on the face of it to have perhaps sourced the spares somewhere cheaper - such as fleabay - and fitted them.

Without the BMW supplied FSC (software licence key) being entered into the Nav system software code that sits on the iDrive computer hard drive then it won't work.

The FSC code is VIN specific to your own car and is normally only available from BMW as they will have a record of your actual code.  The error message you are seeing seems to say that the computer has been changed and no FSC code entered so the function won't work until it is.  These cars have a single software 'build' loaded and the options are enabled via the correct FSC being entered either at build, by a Dealer, or as part of a retrofit.

If the supplier you bought the car from said it has sat Nav then they now need to arrange for the correct code to be supplied and entered by a BMW approved supplier - most likely one if their Dealers.

The only other thing I can think of is that the navigation database which also needs an FSC code to work, doesn't have one.  When the map data is loaded the car requests the FSC code.  You have to buy a new code every time you upgrade the maps through official methods.  The maps used to cost £25 and the FSC £200.  My X6 won't even load maps from the 3 DVD (USB sticks are an option) update pack without the code.

Unfortunately it is probably only someone who can read everything on the car correctly that can confirm which of the two problems is actually triggering the error.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.