Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OCD strikes again

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

OCD strikes again

Post by snipez999 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm

Feeling sorry for myself what woth the crash last week and all, so decided to re-think my plans for the CF di-noc roof. Decided instead to order up a Hamann Evo CF roof spoiler which I think looks stunning against the white car, and which will set off the CF wing mirror covers without being OTT (as the CF roof would probably have been in all honesty). I have been so impressed by the Hamann pedal kit that I may have a bit of a bug now! Hardly saving myself any money by doing that (!!) but it will just work better IMO. Should get it in time for fitting week after next when my X6 is back from one bodyshop and straight away to another for fitting. Pics will follow.

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

MJim

Re: OCD strikes again

Post by MJim » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Have you seen the latest BMWCar magazine? There's a new official BMW body kit for the X6 reviewed in it - all in white. I'm sure you're aware of it. Also another highly tuned and massively kitted up X6 which may appeal, although that one would cost both arms and legs!
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 am

If that's the Performance kit then I already have the rear bootlid spoiler and rear window slats. I don;t actually like the front spoiler on that kit, and I could easily have my sidesteps colour coded by my bodyshop guy. However the bit I *really do like* from the kit is the rear diffuser. If they ever sell that separately I'll take a serious look. In meantime I'm trying to keep that black/white contract effect going ;)

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 am

OK so I have now fallen for the Hamann Evo rear spoilers, having seen an X6 with the full kit. Now ordered up both the rear roof and boot edge CF spoilers. Will be removing the BMW Performance bootlid spoiler - which will be available for sale - but retaining the rear window edge blades.
I don't actually like the Evo front spoiler and intend to get my rear undertray sprayed white as an alternative to anything more extreme at the rear end.
This stuff is bl00dy expensive but just looks oh so good. Pics in a couple of weeks' time. She goes in to the bodyshop for a week tomorrow to repair the RTA damage first.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 am

Spoilers now arrived. Look stunning. Can't wait to get my car back from the repair shop (tomorrow) so I can go get them fitted. Final decision on merits of wheel spraying will be taken once I've got these on.

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

Excellent!! Hope you're happy with the repair job, and can get the spoiler fitted quickly! Remember to post pics - bet it'll look stunning ...
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 am

She's back with the Hamann spoilers fitted:

BEFORE

AFTER

Have also had my undertray painted white though that doesn;t show too well here

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Hmmm. Not 100% sure about those. I think the BMW ones are more subtle. My initial thought was that perhaps they might look better if they were white too? IMVHO I think they look a little too 'aftermarket' but may be I'm being to conservative. The BMW Aero ones look OK in black, but the Hamman ones just seem too big in black.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

OCD strikes again

Post by Rusty » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:35 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Hmmm. Not 100% sure about those. I think the BMW ones are more subtle. My initial thought was that perhaps they might look better if they were white too? IMVHO I think they look a little too 'aftermarket' but may be I'm being to conservative. The BMW Aero ones look OK in black, but the Hamman ones just seem too big in black.[/quote]

I agree to a degree. I think the top lip spoiler is ok in black as it has other surrounding black items, roof rails, blades etc, but the main boot spoiler would and prob look better in White (just my opinion). Could you do a paint shop photo rework to see how it looks? Much cheaper than real paint.

Otherwise I think it looks impressive, and I like the White undertray.

Sent from my iPod device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I would say maybe try and see how it looks in white Black just look cheap and rubbery in picture for such great car.
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I like the coolour contrast myself; but just to clarify, they're carbon fibre, not solid black paint. The effect is better in the flesh, with the mirror covers also being in carbon.

I was considering painting the scratch protector white as well, but decided I'd spent enough money on the car for now. Might even remove it (simply sitting on a bit of double sided 3m tape) - any comments/views on that?

The BMW Performance rear lip spoiler came off OK, save for some silicone residue, but is re-usable and for sale for 50 quid plus postage (probably < a tenner on top) if there is any interest.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:34 pm

It is the striking contrast that might not be doing it any favours.

Your car and absolutely your choice - I'm gonna go with old 'less is more'...

Some bits I like but whole package, not feeling it. Sorry...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:36 pm

[quote=""snipez999""]I was considering painting the scratch protector white as well, but decided I'd spent enough money on the car for now. Might even remove it (simply sitting on a bit of double sided 3m tape)[/quote]

I've got the OEM one on mine and it's a piece of clear self adhesive plastic.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=51&fg=95

Hard to see in place. I had found a supplier for the black one (probably the same maker as yours), but thought I'd try the clear option first. It's not an easy fit according to the bodyshop as one edge fits under the tailgate seal and keeping bubbles out was a challenge for them. I think they actually got two in, practiced with the first and got it right with the second. I actually quite like your black one. :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah got wifey one of those thick 3m clear ones for her Q7. I liked the contrast (again!) of the black one.

Jalf

Post by Jalf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm not too keen on the black/white together, it reminds me of the old Rover Streetwise :D
Having said that, I've seen some on the US forums all white, all trim everything 100% and they look :thumbsdown: