Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2 little annoying problems

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
paulbryson75

2 little annoying problems

Post by paulbryson75 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:29 am

Hello all,
Car has developed two annoying little problems - wondering if any of you technical experts can help????

1) Random 'horn honking' - very embarrassing at times (and could end up in me getting a punch!), my horn goes goes off all by itself (when driving) - i think probably a loose wire/loose connection - will probably pull the horn fuse until can get the airbag off to investigate - anyone know off hand which fuse is for the horn - and of course any suggestions as to why it might have taken on a mind of its own of late??

2) Drivers door - locking pin does not retract/open any more on central locking - have to push down manually - i tried putting some silicone spray down to ease it but to no avail - when you press button on fob you can hear it 'trying to close' - again any ideas much appreciated.

As always - thanks
Paul
02 X5 3.0d SE - Mods: Double exhaust, Angel eyes, orange bits removed! M-Sport steering wheel, e70 X5 Alloys, Aftermarket Sat/Nav DVD with rear screen, Webasto T91 Telestart, skid pan.

rbell11

Re: 2 little annoying problems

Post by rbell11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Cant help too much but my rear would not pop down even though it was locking but it was opening though!- my mechanic sorted that quickly enough
My front door has to be done manually - car needed new actuator but I have a deeper electrical issue which means its still not sorted. Will the door unlock on the key?
2004 3.0i Sport 22" wheels LPG convert

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2 little annoying problems

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:55 am

Your horn problem sounds like a short somewhere, possibly in the horn button itself. Might be a bit of crud has got in and is bridging the circuit. I can't remember whether the horn button feeds 12v to the horn, or completes the earth side when you push it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Re: 2 little annoying problems

Post by Rusty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:45 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]Your horn problem sounds like a short somewhere, possibly in the horn button itself. Might be a bit of crud has got in and is bridging the circuit. I can't remember whether the horn button feeds 12v to the horn, or completes the earth side when you push it.[/quote]

I think they usually switch the ground, so a short would only blow the horn and not melt the car.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe