Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Red Brake Warning Light came on today

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm

The red brake light symbol came on the dash today without prior warning - partner uses the X now that I have a company car, and reported no change in performance before or after the light came on, just a "ping" sound then the red warning light (the one with the exclamation mark in the middle). She stopped as soon as safe to do so, checked Owners Manual as I was in a meeting then sent me a text about the light. Brake fluid checked and all appears perfectly in order, car driving well brakes behaving seemingly perfectly with no funny noises or untoward performance.
The yellow light showing the pads had worn to the sensors did not come on at any stage.

She wasn't very far from home so I told her to carry on home with care, which she did, and reported no performance deterioration in the X.

Any ideas what is wrong? I'll book the X into the Main Dealers tomorrow to have it sorted, luckily we have another car for her to use. Just very annoyed if it is discs or pads as they would have been covered under the MOT Warranty but that needs to be within a month of the MOT being due, and that means sometime in June, not May......... If its not discs or pads then I would think its covered by the AUC Warranty but I'm just slightly bemused by the fact the pad warning light hasn't come on if the pads are low. A sensor/s perhaps???

I suppose Main Dealer is the best option for a car under warranty, pity as there is a local indy less than a mile away from our home for things like discs or pads not covered under the warranty, but I ouldn't want to jeopardise the warranty and in any case, the dratted rear PDC are playing up again (intermittently, of course, esp when damp.....I want to push for the rear sensors to be replaced as this has gone on for ages now and the warranty expires in July (but will def renew!!!!)

Your wisdom welcomed on this one...... :D
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Red Brake Warning Light came on today

Post by Turks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 am

Hi Condor, not noticed you on here for a while... how is the Kuga?

I doubt this issue is anything to do with wear on your brakes unless you or your partner have done a serious amount of miles since you bought it. Mine are no where near ready for replacement and I have had it over two years now and they do get hammered! Could it be an ABS Sensor or anything to do with Traction?

Take it in under the Warranty, but before you do maybe just get your indy to check your brakes for wear so you are armed with the knowledge that they are fine and they don't blame it on this! Also consider that it is an AUC Car and should have passed a condition check for the brakes so if you have only done a few thousand miles and they need replacing then you could have a claim.

I have just renewed my Warranty again with BMW. I know that it is expensive (£1650 last year) but it more than paid for itself with Sunroof, Suspension Air Bags, Ride Height Sensor, PDC, Diff Seals... it is now in for the Valvetronic Levers to be done too which after some discussion they agreed to do under Warranty - should get rid of the missfire in cold mornings! My renewal I have decided to pay for Monthly with the BMW Assist Option...

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:31 am

Hi Turks....you've also been scarce on here for a while :) I'm around, read the forum most days, sometimes post a bit. Kuga is ok, fuel consumption not that marvellous - about 38-40ish mpg - given the choice the X wins all the time, but there are some good features on the Kuga and it drives like a pepped up Focus, which a lot of people enjoy, plus the road holding is excellent.
Back to the X - bought it 31st July 2010, have done about 7000 miles since then as was working in Norfolk at the time but neither of us drive like we stole it and that was my thought as well about the brakes - they should have at least lasted the first year since buying it. Someone mentioned that it might be the driver side disc that has worn excessively which is triggering the light. Partner described the light coming on for the first time as she applied brakes coming in to a junction, but that might just be co-incidence. I wonder if someone will check the brakes without trying to rip us off before I book it in to the main dealer......I think I'll have that done first.

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 am

Just as a thought - the handbrake was not on, right?

(as in 1 click or so)
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

ITBarbie

Post by ITBarbie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:32 am

Hi

Mine came on yesterday along with brake linings warning on dash. Had it serviced approx 3 months ago and dealership told me there was 6 mm left. The dealership say they are duty bound to let me know when 6 or under. I'm seeing my father on Sunday (ex mechanic) to have pads replaced so going to get them to have a poke around. Seems that I haven't done that many miles though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ITBarbie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm

[quote=""pvr""]Just as a thought - the handbrake was not on, right?

(as in 1 click or so)[/quote]

First thing I checked, pvr..... but It could be something as simple as a duff brake fluid level sensor, I suppose, as the brake fluid level is perfectly ok and the light coming on is supposed to mean it is a low brake fluid level. The ABS light and brake pad light have not come on, just the red general brake warning light. I don't want to just take it to the main dealer just yet as they'll probably lie about it and say I need new pads and discs when its not actually essential - like Turks says, I think I'd best check that independently first so I can tell them very firmly the pads and discs have been checked and are within acceptable limits before they even start spouting expensive drivel. Of course, the pads and discs should not have worn excessively in just 9 months and 7000 miles of an AUC check, but that's another issue.

If I can get the car just a few weeks further down the line I can take advantage of the MOT Guarantee part of the first year of AUC Warranty which actually covers all areas of the braking system incl discs and pads, if the car fails on that. I think the MOT expires in July, so I can have it done in June. Safety is paramount, of course.