Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hedgehog

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:21 pm

So in theory if I disconnect the a/c/ hvac unit (for safety) unplug the hedgehog and put 8/9v from a torch battery to pin 1 and 5 the the motor should spin. For added safety remove fuse 64 (50 amp)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hedgehog

Post by X5Sport » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:14 pm

In theory. Depends upon the current drawn by the fan though. It’s a big fuse so the fan may draw a lot! RealOEM doesn’t state the current draw. That fuse is good for 600W.

You can also do a continuity check.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:54 pm

Looking at the potential replacement fan from FEBI it is 210w so presumably similar wattage to what’s in there and capable of a quick burst of 12v

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:04 pm

Just to update as to what I’ve done so far, as the e46 has the same hedgehog I took it out and bunged it into the X, no joy. I then fitted the old X hedgehog into the e46, works fine as did the one I bought. So hedgehogs ruled out. In my frustration I thumped the top of the dash and uttered some choice words and it started to work. So I assume that tells me it has a dead spot on the slip ring/commutator or the brushes have seen better days. Having said that it’s now working fine so I might just bury my head in the sand and put off taking the dash out and replacing the motor.

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by X5-D-Sport » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:17 pm

These Hedge-Hog units are a sodding nuisance.

I have a NEW issue resolution to throw into the mix.........
A month ago I was also having fan issues, & swapped out 3 regulator hedgehogs to no avail, & getting intermittent fan operation now & then.

I found the remedy quite by mistake.... when groping the wiring harness while the ignition was on, & the fan controls were powered ON.

It turns out that the connector socket that plugs into the Hedge-Hog has female pins that can expand & cease to make contact with the Hedge-Hog MALE pins, or intermittent/poor contact.

If it is a poor or light contact, then the connector sockets/pins will heat up & fail due to the heat & burned connector, then you fit another Hedge-Hog & a few days later the whole situation repeats again.
The hotter an electrical contact becomes, the more electrical resistance is generated until the contact gets scorched/burned & fails.

I found that the fix was to very slightly bend the male pins of the hedge-hog module to ensure a good connection in the wired plug connector.

This may not be the fix for every issue with this temperamental device, but may be worth considering.

Regards to All
Grant B

cooa99

Hedgehog

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:08 pm

I think I might have an issue as well with my final stage unit, no fan is working. I have purchased the unit from ebay to fix but have not got round to fixing due to work and not driving the E53 as much now. I did try a few days ago looking at you ube instructions taking off the trim on passenger side only to realise its actually on the driver side :(

I plan on ferrying a bit of stuff to the recycling centre so my question is can I use the car like that for now until I get round to sorting it out?

Thanks

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:19 pm

I understand the car can be driven with the hedgehog inoperable.

Non OE hegehogs are known to be troublesome though. Did you buy a genuine example?

cooa99

Hedgehog

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:33 pm

It is Non OEM I believe for about £13. I just assumed it will be ok considering how many are advertised on ebay.

If it does not work, will the one from ECP for £123 be classified as OEM ?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:45 pm

As best i can recall when i replaced my E53 hedgehog, it was certainly more than £13 but nothing like £123 either. Best talk to a BMW dealer I think.

cooa99

Hedgehog

Post by cooa99 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:38 pm

I'll Check with BMW.

I'll stick the belay one if first to see if I get lucky

Thanks

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:27 am

The eBay ones melt.
My sister got one and my nephew fitted it and it did work for about 5 minutes then stopped.
She then bought a used genuine one from eBay and that one is still working 7 years later.

Themoog2

Hedgehog

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 am

I'm having the same agro with mine as well as trans failsafe etc. Could be related but my blower fan has been squeaking for months then started to really groan about 2 months ago. Doesn't run at all now but it's not seized cause I managed to get a stick up through the hedgehog cavity and it turns freely.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Hedgehog

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:09 pm

You should try X5-D-Sport method above, you never know it may work.