Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Paddle shift

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:48 am

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 amDriving slowly is calming, almost therapeutic
Absolutely! It's just that occasionally I'd like to encourage the 'box to do something it's reluctant to. :driving:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

lezmtaylor

Paddle shift

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm

I would suggest'' Cruise Control '' if you car is fitted with it and it will '' engage '' at such a low speed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lez

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:43 pm

BMWs don’t like engaging below 20mph unless you have Traffic Jam Assist which works down to zero.

Pretty soon we’ll only need 3-speed boxes, 1st, 2nd and R. :cry:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:51 pm

lezmtaylor wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pmI would suggest "Cruise Control" if you car is fitted with it and it will ''engage'' at such a low speed.
X5Sport wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:43 pmBMWs don’t like engaging below 20mph unless you have Traffic Jam Assist which works down to zero.
Yep! Mine only works above 20.
X5Sport wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:43 pmPretty soon we’ll only need 3-speed boxes, 1st, 2nd and R. :cry:
...... If the "I'm right because I can shout louder than you" brigade have their way. :roll:
Do not get me started on "activists". :headbang:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paddle shift

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:01 pm

X5Sport wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:43 pm BMWs don’t like engaging below 20mph unless you have Traffic Jam Assist which works down to zero.

Pretty soon we’ll only need 3-speed boxes, 1st, 2nd and R. :cry:
Go back to the rubber band powered Daf's but doubless even they'd have restrictions dumped on them.

I find it ironic that EVs are fast as well as 'clean', though what do they cost in terms of fossil fuel to produce. And generally, speed limits are being steadily reduced. Fast cars that you can't enjoy to its fullest.

Why is there no emphasis on green fuels, proven to work in IC engines with no modifications.

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:32 pm

sapphireblack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:01 pmWhy is there no emphasis on green fuels, proven to work in IC engines with no modifications?
That one has been puzzling me, too. :?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:23 pm

I think (but might be wrong) that the current challenge with Green Fuels such as synthetic petrol is the cost of actually making them. Large parts of the world run in Ethanol but although that burns clean, its emissions are worse - never mind needing acres of land to grow the ‘producer’ crops. Most European cars can’t run in the stuff without mods either.

If we can solve the hydrogen production and on-board storage challenge then that might be an answer. EVs aren’t either, but are amongst the solution. Mine only has D, N and R. No gears, so no paddles. :oops:

lezmtaylor

Paddle shift

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:26 am

No mention of LPG as yet !!

Lez

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:48 am

lezmtaylor wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:26 am No mention of LPG as yet !!

Lez
That’s coz us tractor drivers can’t use it……but it’s a good point. It has been very quiet on that front.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paddle shift

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:46 pm

X5Sport wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:23 pm I think (but might be wrong) that the current challenge with Green Fuels such as synthetic petrol is the cost of actually making them. Large parts of the world run in Ethanol but although that burns clean, its emissions are worse - never mind needing acres of land to grow the ‘producer’ crops. Most European cars can’t run in the stuff without mods either.

If we can solve the hydrogen production and on-board storage challenge then that might be an answer. EVs aren’t either, but are amongst the solution. Mine only has D, N and R. No gears, so no paddles. :oops:
You'd have thought, or i would, that developing green fuels for millions of existing vehicles would be cheaper than the money poured into EVs and all that goes with them. Just my 2p's worth.

Lobster Pot

Paddle shift

Post by Lobster Pot » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:49 pm

We are using hvo fuel at min in our trucks it’s bizzare stuff no smell to it and looks like water down side you loose a few horses which is a nightmare on hills and dropped from 52 to 51 mph on flat

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:05 pm

I’m not sure the development is the issue, the fuel itself is significantly more expensive to make and capacity isn’t there. Currently production worldwide is 240k barrels a day but 100M barrels is needed. The cost of scaling up is higher than the shift to EVs, but they are an option. Again, these are probably part of the solution. I think whatever the final answer is (and I’m not sure it will be in my lifetime, will by necessity be a mix of technologies dependant on use case. That answer will need to solve the CO2 and other pollutants issues. Efuels use CO2 capture and green energy, but we don’t (yet) have the green energy surplus to do this.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Paddle shift

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:54 pm

As a world issue its not going to trouble me overly much, though i don't say that in a blasé way. Whats left of my lifetime will be deisel powered transportation.

StuBeeDoo

Paddle shift

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:56 am

sapphireblack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:54 pmAs a world issue its not going to trouble me overly much, though i don't say that in a blasé way. Whats left of my lifetime will be deisel powered transportation.
That ^^^ is my stance as well. I've always maintained that I will give-up driving at 80 - if I live that long. 2038 isn't that far away, in the grand scheme of things.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Paddle shift

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:09 am

I’m the same (in terms of giving up, and no it’s not that far off for me either!). Having a younger wife means I have a chauffeuse (if that’s a word!), but don’t tell her :D