Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First real fault problem in 5 years!

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:59 pm

After owning my x5, a f15, 40d, I had a series of warning messages appear shortly after starting, all relating I suspect to the front radar unit mounted under the grill.
IMG-20231013-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20231013-WA0000.jpg (124.33 KiB) Viewed 48790 times
We were on our way to Devon, so continued the trip cautiously, stooping at Strensham services for z quick comfort break, after restarting the car all the errors had cleared, and everything worked as it should, three days later, we were returning from Devon and all was fine until we approached half way, when the same three warning messages appeared, we briefly stopped the other side of Birmingham and on restarting the car all the warnings had cleared and again everything worked as it should.

intermittent faults are probably one of the worst kind of faults to find and fix, initially I thought it could have been because the car had been stood for a while, and maybe have been low battery or dampness, however after a few days in Devon in 20C plus dry weather it suddenly reappeared 120 odd miles into the trip.

Has anyone had this problem and can point me in the right direction, I suspect it maybe a connector somewhere, but any help in knowing where to look would be appreciated, before I take the car into the dealership and get them to investigate, the car is covered by the extended warranty but with a £250 excess. so keen see if its just an easy fix like a corroded connector or damaged wire before I potentially give BMW £250.

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:41 pm

Had the same messages some time ago and it was after hitting a big pot hole. Moved the wires on the sensors near the fromt wheels from the ABS, pad wear sensors and faults cleared. Had car checked out by indy and they found no faults. Happened some time later after going over more very rough ground. Fiddled with wires again and faults cleared. Now try to avoid pot holes and the car has behaved itself for months.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info, I hadn't considered the ABS sensors, I'll have a look underneath next time it's dry enough.
I always try and avoid rough ground and potholes, given the cost of tyres and wheels, but in this case it had been sat for over a week on the drive before the first occurance and cleared after a brief stop 120 or so miles into trip,was error free for 3 or 4 days, then repeated itself on the m5 near Brum, before disappearing again on next stop, so as you suggest something loose or corroded probably.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:55 pm

I’ve had a look at the TIS and just a note of caution when you go rummaging. The radar sensor is in a calibrated setup so beware of moving it. You possibly can’t diy it back into position and BMW use a special alignment mirror rig and laser, plus their usual software.

If you can get a code scan done, look for a misalignment warning. It’s just possible something off the road has knocked the sensor out of position.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:03 am

Thanks for the advise, aren’t there any connections on fly leads nearby or on the unit that are easily accessible to check for security etc, as everything appears to work as it should as soon as you restart the car after a short period of time🤔
I’ll maybe see if I can find a local Indy to do a code scan and see if that shows anything, although it might just be safer to bite the bullet and get BMW to investigate and hopefully fix it, given the potential for needed a recalibration etc etc.
According to the idrive, the car is due a front brake service in a couple of thousand miles, so that might be a good time.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:06 am

The connector is on the left side of the radar head, however BMW ‘recommend’ that to get to it the front bumper panel comes off. If you can get to the sensor without physically moving it then you’ll be fine.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:38 am

Thanks
The sun is out so I’ll have a look this afternoon to see if it’s anything obvious, such as a loose or damaged connection, wire or component part, if not I’ll call the dealer and local Indy who has full ADAS calibration and diagnostic equipment and get some ideas of cost for them to have a look at it, although unless damaged it should be covered by the extended warranty, so it might be best to get it down with the brake service, at least that way the cost is capped at the excess is no damage or water ingress 🤞

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:20 pm

Well had a look and nothing obviously loose or disconnected, but not very easy to see without starting to take bits off, so I’ll ring dealership and a local Indy tomorrow to get an idea of costs of diagnostic code check etc and try and find out if it’s a common fault with an easy fix, or potentially expensive, in which case it will be a BMW dealership job under the extended warranty, maybe at the same time as getting brake service done.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Quick update, booked it in with dealer to have the front brakes serviced and have asked them to run the diagnostics and see what it shows up, at least this way its only one diagnostic charge and hopefully if an expensive fix, then it will be covered by the extended warranty.

Also I think it's about time to look at buying a code reader/diagnostic tool so at least I can do preliminary checks, before paying the dealer, so can anyone recommend a suitable device or software for a f15 x5.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:23 pm

Further update
From mid October, until early last week car was fine no issues and everything worked as it should.
I put it down to a low battery.
However early last week it started faulting again, so booked it in with dealer and after diagnosis, it’s the front radar unit that’s faulty.
A new one is on order for fitting tomorrow and then hopefully all will be well again, just got to pay the extended warranty excess. Will update again after I collect car from supplying dealership, who I must say continue to be very good, which is the main reason I still use them for service and repair, despite it being a 150 plus mile round trip from home.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:29 am

Update
New front radar fitted on 24th November however dealer was unable to get new software to load, so car still with them.
BMW Germany involved and dealer is still waiting for the software patch to arrive so they can activate, program and calibrate the new radar unit.
In the meantime I have a nicely spec’d one series to run about in.
Hopefully the software fix will arrive early next week and fix the issue🤞
Can’t fault the dealer as they have kept me informed of situation.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:22 pm

That’s the problem with modern cars. They’re little more than computers on wheels! BMW are issuing software patches to dealers on an almost monthly basis for the ‘i’ cars. All sorts of little (and some not so little) niggles.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:42 pm

Final update - hopefully
New software patch received by dealer from Germany yesterday upload to vehicle radar calibrated and all good, collected car yesterday evening after 15 days.
Very glad to have kept the extended warranty going on the car as the radar unit alone was over £2400 and that’s without fitting calibration etc etc.!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:36 pm

Ouch! It’s why I keep mine going as well.