Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Code reader for X5 diagnostics

General car related chat
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:47 am

Hi
Anyone suggest or recommend a decent code reader for diagnostics on a x5 f15, very unlikely to be wanting to do any coding, but think it would be useful to read and perhaps reset the error codes when the car pings up with the occasional message rather than take it to the dealer and pay their rates.
To be honest it will probably go to the dealer or Indy for repair, but it would be nice to know the likely cause beforehand.
Thanks in advance.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:37 am

It depends upon whether or not you want to pay a one off fee - for something like say a Foxwell - or are happy with an annualised (is that a word?) plan for something like say a Carly system?

I’ve had Carly for several years and it works with everything except the i4 (though support is coming). It’s not free and costs about £80 with the scanner unit. Works with tablets, phones and laptops.

Others on here have Foxwell systems and are pleased with those.

If you want to go ‘all in’ then you’re probably looking at INPA/ISTA/Edibias with the right adapter and a laptop. This is dealer level software.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:43 pm

I bought a foxwell nt530 specifally for bmw only for my e70 and it was able to reset dpf life which few can and find all the codes my cheapy code reader couldn't.I dunno if it supports F15 though you need to check . I got it of Gendan automotive £164 delivered ,you down load the bmw only software once you get it.It can I think register a new battery but not a capacity change but you can't have everything at that price :thumbsup:
If it isn't specifically for bmw you are wasting you time imo

Lobster Pot

Post by Lobster Pot » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:43 pm

I use bimmerlink also got BimmerCode for coding both work faultless for me

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 am

Thanks for the information, I’ll have a look at these, but whilst rummaging in the garage yesterday came across an ODB adapter that I bought for a BMW motorcycle (used with Motoscan), a few years ago, it’s a OBDLink LX Bluetooth, and that looks like it is compatible with Bimmerlink, so that might be a good first step and at a reasonable cost depending on how they charge for the app and what the results are like and how easy they are to understand.
I like the look of Carly, but for something that I hopefully won’t have to use that often the annual subscription maybe a waste of money for me.
I’ll also have a look at a bmw specific Foxpro, their website looks very good.
I’ll let you know how it goes

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:54 am

It is compatible well it sounds like the one i use.
One off payment as well for bimmerlink and code.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:17 pm

Update on code reader
Installed Bimmerlink for Android and used my existing dongle, it was very simple to set up and use, scanned for errors, a few came up but nothing to indicate any current issues with the ADAS system that I'd previously encountered.
The biggest thing that showed up was that after a decent run to Devon and back plus a run to Sheffield and back, last week, around 600 miles, and a 40 mile run yesterday, was that he battery today was only showing as 62% charged, so I have it on my CTEK battery charger and will leave it on for at least 24 hours to see it that recovers it, but it could well be the ADAS errors I was seeing earlier is down to an ageing battery (~5.5 years old)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:52 pm

If after that much charging the battery isn’t very happy, and given it’s approaching EOL (average), then it could be time for a replacement - or at least the planning of such. That said, my X6 one has been flagged by Carly before now and is still OK. I only use the car every few weeks now, so with the arrival of chillier weather, it gets a full charge before a week of use.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:39 pm

Thanks
I’ll see what it says tomorrow after 24 hours on charge m, but could well be time to change the battery, will ask dealer for a price but now that I have Beamerlink up and running might just get a battery from Tanya and fit it myself, will see what the dealership say on Tuesday whe it goes in for new front discs and pads

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:58 pm

I did the last change myself. Tayna for the hardware and reset it via Carly. Sometimes BMW can be cheaper, though it probably depends on the day of the month and how much fleecing of customers has been successful!

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:06 pm

Very true, but I know the price from Tanya, so it will be interesting to see what the dealer suggests, although to be fair they have been very good for the last 5 years

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:43 am

Would like ti see the dealer better Tayna prices.
Also next day delivery mostly bought several over the years plus 30 or so years ago but they had a different name then.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:48 pm

Well after another 24 hours on the ctek , it’s up to 76%, but driving over to dealership tomorrow to have front discs and pads replaced, so will ask them for a price for a new battery, if it’s sensible then I’ll get them to check it and replace it, if not I’ll order one from Tanya and fit myself using bimmerlink to reset car

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:14 pm

Another update, car went into dealership for front brake pads and discs as suggested by indi, but pleasantly surprised to find it only needed new pads as the discs are still ok for another set of pads after the heath checks.
The battery was up at 86% after a few minutes in dealership car park, so hopefully ok for a while yet, off to Devon tomorrow so another 500 mile round trip, will keep any eye on battery charge and see if it slowly or quickly declines.
It makes me wonder if when I have been running reasonable distances with the adaptive cruise on and the car in ECO pro, if it only puts the minimum charge into the battery? Last few days I’ve just left it in comfort mode and not used the adaptive cruise and the battery % is improving, although the fuel consumption appears to have dropped a bit?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:29 pm

Eco Pro in BMWs does some strange things including reducing engine load by reducing the a/c, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it did something odd with the alternator too.