Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any church mice around?

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Any church mice around?

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:22 pm

Or maybe everyone's hibernating for winter 🤔

Me. I'm back to Arden BMW tomorrow to have the sill piece of exterior trim replaced, that was damaged on a pre airbag recall visit. It was when the washer bottle had to be de-gunked. Seemingly a quarter of the car was dismantled to access it.

That they stepped up to accept this was a pleasant surprise.

gmc15

Any church mice around?

Post by gmc15 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:43 pm

I need to book my car in for the drivers airbag to be replaced after receiving the recall letter.
My washers are also poor so the filter on the washer bottle will need de-gunking. I was hoping to do this myself when the weather gets a bit warmer. Did my sons 3 series washer filter a couple of years ago so hopefully the X6 will be similar.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Any church mice around?

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:51 pm

X6 requires wheel off, liner and arch trim off, sill cover or side step free'd off or removed. In my case, i witnessed that trim suspended by the rearmost fixiings only. This is how it must have become damaged

Its an expensive dealer fix. Over two hours labour.

gmc15

Any church mice around?

Post by gmc15 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 pm

Oh dear, not quite the DIY job I thought :( Might have to try disolving the gunk in the tank, possibly with white vinegar?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Any church mice around?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:20 pm

I knew it was an awkward job and having learned the hard way with the E53 back in the day, I have only ever used BMW Screenwash since. I don’t know what it specifically has in it that stops bacterial growth, but it does contain isopropyl alcohol. Not had another problem across any subsequent beemers since then.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Any church mice around?

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:35 pm

X5Sport wrote: ↑Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:20 pm I knew it was an awkward job and having learned the hard way with the E53 back in the day, I have only ever used BMW Screenwash since. I don’t know what it specifically has in it that stops bacterial growth, but it does contain isopropyl alcohol. Not had another problem across any subsequent beemers since then.

I have only ever used BMW fluid right back to my days of E53 ownership. I can only assume the original/previous owner of my X6 was less discerning.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Any church mice around?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm

Highly likely :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Any church mice around?

Post by Leslie » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:31 pm

I removed the wing to access mine when the filter was blocked , luckily I checked all 3 pumps as they were all the same on my e70 , it worked great for a good few months till I parked it up last year now every time you fill it a day later the tank is empty again :rofl: , looks like I will have to go back in again ! The sill cover needs pulled back on the e70 to access the wing lower bolts which of course were very rusty , I couldn't remove the sill cover as the rear screw fixings heads were all rotted :headbang: I guess the tank possibly has a crack now ,didn't happen during frost but in the summer :?

Never got round to the airbag recall either as it was on a sorn :rofl:

lezmtaylor

Any church mice around?

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am

I have always used neat screenwash from Lidl, never had a problem in 18 years ownership of my 02 e53.

Lez