Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 E70 X5 3.0d - 'Chuffin' Injector

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Sm[]key

Post by Sm[]key » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 pm

Hi

Not been on Forum for a while and had no end of problems with the X5, 270k miles so can't grumble really.

Latest one is I changed out injector 5 about 6-12 months ago, then it went into garage recently for turbo change (for the second time) and DFP.

During those repairs it was identified No. 5 was chuffin'. Went back in and they tried to reseat it again. Few months later noticed the same problem after investigating as engine was very lumpy, so I had a go myself today.

Purchased an injector seat cutter kit (reamer) and new copper sealing washers, did all that was required cleaned out injector port and tried again, see video for current situation:

https://youtube.com/shorts/FI5ovjT7gBc

Note the chuffin' gets worse when the intermittent droning sound kicks in, I'm assuming this is something to do with the vacuum pump and EGR?

Was very careful with the reamer and it went down ok with a very light smooth motion, cleaned all gunk out and it didn't appear to remove any metal. (17mm x 19mm).

Any ideas?

Could I have a dodgy recondition injector for Eurocar parts that is causing the seating issue?

Gonna try and swap injectors to see if the problem still remains in port 5, too much rain in the North today to let me complete that task.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:33 am

Could well be a dodgy recon injector.
Personally i won't buy from Euro for the same reason had a few dodgy parts from them.
Ok they swapped them but what a pain you don't need changing the thing twice.
But could be wrong with the injector.

marti

Post by marti » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:51 am

Ive done loads of changes of injectors, had a chuffer on my merc sprinter....reason found for that was the mechanic hadnt torqued it enough, I gave it crank tighter and it stopped....I recently changed the injectors on my F12 640d but I torqued them all up correctly and gave them a final crank manually and all is well, I reckon you may have a bad injector, do check there's not a second copper washer in there.....I'd swap one over and see...rather than keep forking out money.....it may run a bit rough if you havent coded them for the correct pot.....

H4MP

Post by H4MP » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:01 am

Injector 5 I! Can see smoke, means it's not correctly seated