Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opinions on dash removal

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Opinions on dash removal

Post by henrym3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 pm

Very impressive, certainly deserves more than "a" beer. You’ve made that sound easier than it looks. Ever since I got mine it’s had a nut inside that big bar that runs across the vehicle and if I go round a corner with a bit of enthusiasm it rattles to the other side, that the wife’s marker to remind me to slow down.

Themoog2

Opinions on dash removal

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:53 pm

Now I've calmed down a bit I can add some more.
If I did it again I would remove the seats first as they restrict getting the centre console out.
I noticed that unplugging the headlight switch with the battery still connected resulted in the lights being on permanently. Odd.
I also added extra sound deadening material to the bulkhead and underside of the dash - why the hell not while it was out.
I also found some cash and a pen..
Lifting the dash back into place is probably a 2 man / woman /person / they / them job as I really struggled on my own. It's awkward to move into place without causing damage to other parts of the car.
Should I write a how to and post it?

Themoog2

Opinions on dash removal

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 am

And the black plastic bit I found is part of the ashtray so that solved that mystery.

Wayfarer

Opinions on dash removal

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 am

Very impressive, and well done, you deserve a few beers after that, it’s not something I think I would tackle without an expert very close buy, think I’ll keep the warranty going on my F15😊