Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New satnav maps just released for E70

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
MJim

New satnav maps just released for E70

Post by MJim » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 pm

As some of you will know, I love my X5 but the one fly in the ointment has been the absolutely cr*p satnav. I have just been advised that a new map upgrade has been released, which I'm getting installed foc. Just need to book it in at the dealer. Apparently the upgrade is only of the underlying map data, which Navteq admitted there was a problem with, but doesn't at this stage upgrade the system software. BMW confess that they don't know if this will fix it, but hopefully it will be an improvement.
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

5wany

Re: New satnav maps just released for E70

Post by 5wany » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi MJim,

has the problem been singular just to your car or is it across X5's in general? The issues you have had with your one have you tried to replicate on another X5 with same system at dealer / forum members looking for same address etc?

Good that you get upgrade foc though
:music:

MJim

Post by MJim » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:58 pm

The main problem I have had is that many/most postcodes I try to input it will not permit you to i.e. It doesn't recognise them as valid. When I first reported the issue, having explored the matter with Navteq, BMW requested I take it in to be checked by a dealer (went to BMW Battersea, the service arm of BMW Park Lane). The service technician tested the various postcodes my system would not recognise on another X5 they had in and the problem was the same. In addition, the functionality of the system is poor. When I remarked to the service technician that my £100 tomtom was better, his response was that I was not the first to say that, and that he couldn't disagree. I've negotiated a rebate on the system as a consequence. BMW cust services have been open in admitting there's an issue, but caution me that this upgrade may not fix it. To be fair, you can contact BMW through the in car BMW assist, and they can then send the address to the car, or you can do this yourself on a computer in Google Maps, but they still need to fix the underlying system.

5wany

Post by 5wany » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:43 pm

:paper:
I'll have a good read of system functions when I pick mines up in DEC then give it a good workout, see how it goes. Salesman did say it acceptd 7 digit postcodes, mmm.

It is an expensive option and it should really fuction 99% time.
:music:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Are BMW going to replace the map data for cars affected by this at no cost, or is this goung to be the usual full day in the workshop and relieve you of £180 for the priviledge of fixing a known fault?

My E71 still has the 2011 map data despite having supposedly been in for updating - since when it constantly loses control of the iphone music system, though this could be IOS5/5.01 actuallt being the source rather than the car. I will be talking to them about it when we collect the Mini next week.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MJim

Post by MJim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:46 pm

I've never had a problem with inputting full post codes, it's just that many of them it doesn't recognise. I've now booked the car in for Friday and was warned of the risk of their needing to work on the car for more than a day (ie till Monday) if any glitches are encountered. Turns out this is a more comprehensive software upgrade than just the SatNav maps - i.e. gearbox etc. Maybe they'll be sorting out the 40d fuel economy who knows - can always hope! I recommend that all E70, E71 owners should maybe get in touch with your dealers about it, or you can wait for my feedback!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:13 pm

I didn't know there was a problem with the fuel economy on the 40d. Mine is exactly where I expect it to be, around 30mpg, and around 36mpg on the long motorway run from here to South West Wales - but only if treated gently! It's a 2-tonne, permanent 4-wheel drive wagon and an auto to boot, and has more than 300bhp on tap. Never a good recipe for economy - diesel or not. Mine had a load of software & firmware updates which took several hours, but I've not noticed any real changes - these updates are normally done at each service apparently. The official fuel tests are complete 'spheroids' for all cars so I use the urban figure for the combined and it's usually about right. The Mini is likely to be the same - nowhere near the 'official data'.

Despite everyone knowing the official figures are flawed, our beknighted Government (joke) are happy to say that they should only be used for 'comparative purposes' when choosing a car, and should not be used as an accurate or true representation of the real world figures! Well that helps a lot then doesn't it - not! Oh, and as the levels of so-called greenhouse gases is in fact not falling as expected it kinda proves the point.

Off topic somewhat, but eventually someone will get a truly representative test sorted out, but it's getting the repeatability right that's the issue. I used to work in a testing laboratory and the test chambers and configurations had to be very tightly controlled so that the same tests could be performed again and again with the same results - even years later. The international radio test standards we used took years to get agreed and ratified. Testing motor vehicles in a real world environment with so many variables being needed is a nightmare so I can see why the current, and IMHO, dreadful test system was arrived at. It may be repeatable but it's of no real value other than to enable manufacturers to make expansive claims. Other industries wold probably get done for Trade Descriptions violations.

MJim

Post by MJim » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Well the maps have been updated. Quite a palaver, taking 2 days as the codes needed in the process were dalayed in coming through. They would have kept the car longer if I hadn't rattled a few cages.

As I suspected, having tried one of the postcodes it didn't recognise (old established address), it still doesn't. As I suspected, the new software may add new addresses but doesn't sort the problems with old ones. The customer services person I've been dealing with also had her doubts as to whether it would. Must admit I don't understand why postcodes that are recognised on the Navteq website aren't recognised by their BMW system.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:43 pm

That's annoying. I really would have thought that they would have sorted this. The problem used to be that BMW chose not to support the UK Postcode standard of either 6 or 7 characters, but given they knew of this years ago I'm disappointed that it still has to be resolved.

The one in our Mini seems OK with the codes we've used so far.