Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Creaking from rear somewhere

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
villageidiot

Creaking from rear somewhere

Post by villageidiot » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:09 pm

I have a creaking from somewhere in the rear of my 2009 X5 4.8, it's done 40K with full main dealer history , sounds like it is around the tailgate area / interior trim but is hard to tell exactly . It's got the 7 seat option if that makes any difference.
Is there any known fixes / faults?

Flog

Re: Creaking from rear somewhere

Post by Flog » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am

I have a 2008 sd and have had everything out the back, plugged in the rear seat belts and had the wife sit in the back listening and watching and still have the MOST annoying squeak, rattle :headbang:
I think it is the plastic moulding on the near side speaker in the rear but had a look and a fiddle and still there. If anyone has got the fix I'll pay good money!!
X5 sd Msport 2008 - Black
996 C2S 911 - Black
Suzuki Jimny - Black (lane buster for the price to fill the X5!)

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:19 am

Are you sure it's not the tailgate that's making the noises, well known for being noisy, I fixed it on one of mine by wrapping tape around the latches on the bottom section, but I'm sure there's probably a more technical way.
Do a search for squeaky or tailgate rattle, I'm sure something will come up.

doc4246

Post by doc4246 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 pm

2nd the tailgate...I've just got my car back from a hefty visit to a dealer - one of the jobs was to apply felt tape to the plastic trim on the inside of the LOWER tailgate - this plastic trim is secured with a series of self tapping screws at the bottom but little else at the top...hence the request for the felt tape all around where the plastic trim lies against the lower tailgate.

As it transpired this did not resolve the creaking/squeeking noises - but these were definately coming from the lower tailgate...so...

Purchased 2 x foam bath sponges (about the dimensions of a house brick) from the local supermarket for 40p and placed one on either side of the lower tailgate over the locking mechanisms on each side (as I'm told that the locking catch rattles against the retaining latch) and around the plastic struts (as I'm told the plastic top and bottom of each strut rattle when the lower tailgate is closed)...

Forced the lower tailgate closed - locking over the foam bath sponges - and all noises dealt with - peace and quiet at last...

Okay not great every time opening the lower tailgate (which I don't do often) as the sponges need to be put back in place...and then quickly close the lower tailgate firmly to keep the sponges in the right spot - but they're not visible from the outside so not an eyesore...

On next trip to the dealer I shall have them resolve - apparantly the locking mechanisms may be adjusted and the struts padded with felt tape or similar to stop each plastic end slapping against each other when in the closed position.
2007 (57) MY07 Titanium Silver E70 X5 SE 5S 4.8i V8 Auto

Quttaineh

Post by Quttaineh » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 pm

My x5 2011 had a tailgate cracking. Visited the dealer 4 times before it was fixed. a known problem with the X5

villageidiot

Post by villageidiot » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm

OK, Thanks for the replies , I've purchased some felt tape and will tackle it this weekend, the tailgate does seem to be the source of noise. 

Flog

Post by Flog » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I'll go straight to the sponges and report back. Always good to know on a 50 k car you need that xtra 80 pence!
Many thanks.
X5 sd Msport 2008 - Black
996 C2S 911 - Black
Suzuki Jimny - Black (lane buster for the price to fill the X5!)

villageidiot

Post by villageidiot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Problem now solved, as was mentioned earlier the catches on the lower section were the cause, I picked up some anti rattle felt tape from ebay and applied it around each catch, the lower section is slightly firmer to close but no creaks any more !