Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Warranty work - locking patch and failed active cruise control

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
MJim

Warranty work - locking patch and failed active cruise control

Post by MJim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:47 pm

My active cruise control failed the other day - boo - really missing it already for those tedious motorway drives.  So have booked in tomorrow at BMW Park Lane (Battersea is where all the work's done).  However, when I booked it in they said it may not be covered - can they really get out of fixing it (car is less than 18 months old) or are they just saying that because they have to ?  If you here loud shouting coming from South London around 9am tomorrow morning, then that'll be me!!

I also queried with "my friends" at BMW "customer services" the security matter that has been flagged on this site and also featured on Watchdog earlier this week.  They told me there is a patch for X5's that addresses the issue, so have added that to the job sheet.

The car's filthy - front wheels now look graphite grey, so looking forward to someone else sorting that as well  ;)
Current: 40d M Sport, deep sea blue, oyster, 19in
Spare: VW Golf V5

History: TVR Chimera 5.0
First Car: Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Warranty work - locking patch and failed active cruise control

Post by X5Sport » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:00 pm

I thought the OEM Warranty was 3-years or 60k miles, whichever comes up first.  I'd hardly put the active cruise control in a 'wear & tear' bucket!  It could just be a filthy radar if your wheels are bad. 

I looked at it for the X6 (not very seriously as I felt it took away another reason to 'stay awake' on motorways etc).  I don't use normal cruise very much either.  The Dealer didn't seem to think much of the technology....and did say if the car gets very dirty it can fool the radar sensor.

IMHO though, it ought to be covered
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:21 pm

I thought that as well, and gave the sensor a clean - sadly still not working.  I find the system to be brilliant for cruising congested motorways / dual carriageways - just dial up the speed and relax.  The system then brakes and accelerates for you to maintain that speed and whatever gap you have specified.  If there's sudden breaking ahead, the car can detect it quicker than we humanly could and is already on the brakes when you then stamp on them.  I wouldn't use the system for normal A/B roads if that's what you mostly do though.  Other than that, top option along with top view parking (although watch system rear blind spots - ahem) and HUD !!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Got the HUD and 'all around vision' - they're definitely worth it.  Most of my driving is A/B roads, with occasional runs to Wales down the M4 and usually in lighter traffic - when I can see it being useful.  TBH the 'normal' cruise is OK for that.  I try to stay at least 2 secs away in dry, 4 in wet, weather and always look a loooonnngg way ahead....not that it works every time of course.

Like most folks I've had 'close encounters' on motorways when the car in front has done something unexpected - like drive into the crash barrier on the M23 for no obvious reason!  I don't think it was pvr......
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MJim

Post by MJim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Like most folks I've had 'close encounters' on motorways when the car in front has done something unexpected - like drive into the crash barrier on the M23 for no obvious reason!  I don't think it was pvr......
[/quote]

Love it.  Hope it was just a close encounter rather than getting physical  :))

leosayer

Post by leosayer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:20 pm

I guess they won't repair it under warranty if a sensor has been damaged by a stone or similar.

Wish I had that on my X5.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 pm

[quote="MJim"]
[quote="X5Sport"]
[/quote]

Love it.  Hope it was just a close encounter rather than getting physical  :))
[/quote]Fortunately yes.  The car (Peugeot 205GTI) in front just drove into the barrier which in those days was wire with gravel underneath.  Being mid-summer the road vanished (along with the errant car) into a cloud of dust and flying stones.  Everyone came to a rapid halt and no collisions!!  The driver didn't know what happened but I think the feeling was he dropped a wheel off the pavement and the gravel just grabbed the car.  Not something I want to repeat any time soon though!!

MJim

Post by MJim » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:21 pm

@leosayer - BMW said there'd been a slight impact to the car so the sensor's out of alignment eg sleeping policeman or someone reversed into parked car. They don't think any new parts will be required but to fix will take c 3 hours labour owing to all the electronics in the front bumper, and tell me they will need to use their special repair rig / ramp to ensure get correct alignment. Total estimated cost £500. Can't be sure if this is BS - could take half an hour for all I know, but what can you do?!

@X5Sport - sounds spectacular. I remember a previous boss telling me that he'd previously totalled a brand new tuned / body kitted 205GTI. Might have been him! I loved mine - like a go kart esp as mine had no PAS, but you could tell it was going to be v important not to crash it, just like the TVR I once had. Not much safer than a motorbike given the lack of driver protection ...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:51 pm

[quote="MJim"]
@X5Sport - sounds spectacular.
[/quote]
Spectacular?  Yes
Bum clenching moment?  Hell yes!!  :drive: