Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Early days looking for an X5

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
freaknout

Early days looking for an X5

Post by freaknout » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi all

We have just started looking for an X5 and I have researched the differences between LCI and non-LCI E70 but I have a question about the iDrive versions. Is the latest iDrive version really that much better than the previous model? I had a play with the latest and coming from an early E60 with business nav it's very very slick.

How are folks finding the earlier versions of iDrive in the E70?

And another question, what are the options for an iPhone 4 user to get music into the stereo. I see some kind of inputs are standard but I imagine they are analogue or is a iPhone to USB cable required?

Many thanks in advance and probably just the first of many questions to come!

Kind regards
JJ

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Early days looking for an X5

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:52 pm

If you have the Bluetooth options fitted then you can use that to play music on the later versions (Model Year 2010 onwards).  You need to have options 6NF and 6FL installed if you want the full functionality.  Prior to 2010, I think you need a 'Y' cable which connects the iphone into the car via the USB socket and 3.5mm jack socket in the centre armrest - I think you still need the USB options in the car though.

I have used both the CCC iDrive (early version) and the CIC iDrive (latest) and find the later one more intuitive.  You also get a bigger screen & DVD playback (though that may not be important).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Many thanks X5Sport, that makes sense.

If you don't have the USB option and just the cable I assume you control everything on the phone itself rather than through iDrive itself? The later iDrive (CIC) certainly operates very well but then coming from business nav circa 2004 using a digital calculator is impressive!

JJ

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I have the earlier nav, 2008 car, and its fine, I'm sure the new system is better but for all I use it it isn't an issue.

What would make me go for a newer car is the 40d model with 8sp box.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm

And lower VED rates too (40d) - in case you hadn't spotted that one in your research.

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks davyk31 and X5Sport

I've read a few previous threads and I think I'm in the same position as one of the recent posters. It's either newer with fewer options or older with more options. On the balance, what do folks think is a better way to go?

The remainder of any new car warranty is really appealing (assuming they are transferable), engine improvements with an 8 speed auto are great, but pana roof, heads up display and various other gizmos are tempting me into a slightly older model.

JJ 

Mike80

Post by Mike80 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 pm

My personal choice would be to go for more options in a slightly older car, while looking for a replacement car I found a 2010 car with few extras for the same price as my 2009 m sport but I liked the idea of camera, elec boot, etc. I found it hard to spend a lot of money on a car that didn't have even heated seats.

Mike

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Makes sense.  But before you commit, try them on the road.  If you like the toys then you can still go for that one but at least know you tried a later version rather than spend time thinking "I wonder.....".  We've all been there no doubt.... :'(

Richard

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks Mike, Richard. I think I need to narrow down my must have options and go from there.

What I didn't want to do is just automatically go with an older car with some nice options but then find out that the later engines and gearbox are too good to miss.

JJ

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 pm

In that case you better stay away from a 40d then....... :)) :))

And definitely stay out of an M50d......triple hairdryers!! 8)

R

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
In that case you better stay away from a 40d then....... :)) :))

And definitely stay out of an M50d......triple hairdryers!! 8)

R
[/quote]

I've been driving a 545i for the past 5 years, so looking for a more "relaxed" drive  ::)

Oh, and fold down seats!

JJ

leosayer

Post by leosayer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:14 pm

I chose the LCI model with less options and I have no regrets.

Toys are nice and I made a list of my 'must haves' (eg. sports or comfort seats) and 'nice to haves' (eg. sunroof). All very sensible and methodical and I viewed a number of cars.

There are lots of X5s for sale but once you start getting picky with the colour, engine, mileage and options then it becomes progressively harder to find examples for sale.

However, once I saw the white LEDs, the decision was made!

freaknout

Post by freaknout » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks leo (!)

What did you end up with in the end as I do spy a 2011 with satnav and electric seats but pretty little else. Am I correct in thinking that if it has sports seats it's more than likely to have the dynamic pack? How impt is that?

JJ

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:18 pm

If me I would if same year, cost and engine I would go for the one with better spec. Reasons when you come to move extra selling points to a buyer.

Even if slightly older I would go for one with toys, year of car not too worried about, but sometimes you do have to look at it i.e. preface lft v post facelift on e53 can show its age to some.

If you are looking at different years then I know from brother in law that the trade base on year, model and mileage extras count for very little.

But it sounds like your list of essentials and desired will easily narrow the field then it's just checking specs.
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

leosayer

Post by leosayer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 pm

[quote="freaknout"]
What did you end up with in the end as I do spy a 2011 with satnav and electric seats but pretty little else. Am I correct in thinking that if it has sports seats it's more than likely to have the dynamic pack? How impt is that?
[/quote]

I got a 30d SE with media pack and electric sports seats. It doesn't have 19" wheels and sports suspension that you get with the dynamic pack.  This was intentional as I wanted a fairly smooth riding car. I drove an SE with the dynamic pack and found there was too much pitter-patter (that's how I can best describe it) on town driving. My car looks a bit dull on 18"s but I can always upgrade.

My car is a lot better but I still ended up replacing the run flats because the with normal tyres because the ride was too unsettled on bumpy b road. I'm now very happy with the way the car rides. It still handles like a BMW should, but a car with sports suspension will no doubt be more fun.

I think the sports or the more expensive comfort seats are a must, because they are adjustable in so many ways, fantastically comfortable and very supportive.

Certainly an SE with sports seats is very likely to have the dynamic pack, but not all will.