Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone 4 Snap in adapters

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

iPhone 4 Snap in adapters

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:07 pm

I found the following part numbers on the web and have had my local Dealer check availability today. At present they are not available to purchase, at least not in the UK, but I offer the details for those who may be looking for them once they are avail:

iPhone 4 cradles - Part Numbers

A German BMW dealer has listed the part numbers for the new iPhone 4 cradles said to come in December 2010: 

Snap-In adaptor (bluetooth only, no 6NF): P/N 84 21 2 199 389
Snap-In adaptor music (6NF music only): P/N 84 21 2 199 390
Snap-In adaptor media (6NF music + video): P/N 84 21 2 199 392

Exactly which version does what is as yet less than 100% clear...I also assume they may well work in the E70 too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Jalf

Re: iPhone 4 Snap in adapters

Post by Jalf » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm not sure if I'll bother as I have a case on mine so it probably won't fit in one, like to see though.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm

BMW GB have just ordered 500 adapters. They're currently on back order with no due date yet, but they're on the way somewhere. Basic version only at this point - Pt No: 84212199389

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Do any of us have the 6NF option fitted? I can't even see it listed as an option on the X6 now?

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:54 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Do any of us have the 6NF option fitted? I can't even see it listed as an option on the X6 now?[/quote]

Is this option not part of the Media Pack for both the e70 + e71 as both now have HDD for nav and music with USB port? As you say not listed in the configorator for either model but is shown as part of the media pack on the new X3
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Dunno, but after I've tried this AutoGlym HD wax out tomorrow, I'm gonna go see the Dealer......apparently you need it for the new 6NR option to work properly.

Oh, and there'll be no more stock of the basic adapters until June!!!! :evil:

X5Trace

Post by X5Trace » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Have recently been looking into this myself, I thought that it might just be a case of buying the cradle as per the conversation I had with the salesman but it appears that '6NF' is not included with the media package. The media package
(ZXB) includes:

609 Navigation system professional
612 BMW Assist
616 BMW Assist online portal
633 Bluetooth phone prep & telematics
654 DAB Digital radio
6FL USB Audio interface

After looking at the September 2010 price list it shows an addiotnal option 6NR Telephone USB audio interface £75 which you can have as long as you options ZXB or with 644 and 6FL.

I have sent an email to my sales guy to ask about this, I think I am correct in saying that I'm going to have to have the 6NR fitted in order to be able to buy and use a cradle. I will let you know what he says. He might be a little red faced he told me back in Jan it was not a problem getting hold of these cradle's.
Current:
2011 X5 40d MSport
2005 BMW 330ci Vert

Previous:
2006 Mercedes ML 280CDI Sport
2002 BMW 530d M Sport
2000 Mitsubishi Evo VI Tommi Makinen
1998 Honda Integra Type R

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:20 pm

My October 2010 order spec list includes the above as my media package and then adds 6NF Telephone USB Audio Interface at 75 quid. BMW and their bloody codes!! :-)

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 pm

My Dealer was very apologetic about mine not having had 6NF fitted at the factory, and worse still it looks that this option cannot be retrofitted, or if it can it is VERY expensive. I've seen at least one quote of over £1,000 most of which is labour (approx 6 hours).

It seems that the Dealers don't really understand what the implications of not fitting 6NF can be if you have an iphone and BMW GB are less an helpful. Choosing 6NR now will automatically result in 6NF being added too. Mt Dealer believed that as themedia pack had been selected then it included ALL the options. Alas not. He's going to talk it over with the techs next week, but I'm not holding much hope. To be fair to him, he is mortified but that doesn't make me feel much better.

6NR allows owners with all of the other pre-requisites fitted at build to use the new Applications capability. Any one of the three missing and that's not possible.

I can see a number of irate owners demanding BMW make a retrofit available for those who don't have the option added as a result of bad or incomplete information when ordering. It's all over the interwebs if you go looking. There are lots of less than impressed customers out there. :headbang: :headbang:

NewX5

Post by NewX5 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Some am I right in saying that you need this for the cradle? Personally I see no need for the cradle my iphone works from either usb (glove box or armrest) and also charges from both, what additional do you get from the cradle?
X5 Xdrive 30d MSport
Carbon Black
Oyster Interior
Media Package
Third Row Seating

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:09 pm

It will allow your iphone to be plugged into the vehicle antenna, charge, work as a phone and allow full control of music, play video and internet connectivity via 3G tethering simultaneously. You will also be able to take advantage of the new BMW apps now being released and those to follow soon. Without 6NF the cradle will allow the first two only. If you want music from your iphone and use it as a phone at the same time you will have to take it back out of the cradle as the phone will run via Bluetooth and music via a cable.

There is to be a software download made available for vehicles already built that gives existing owners the 6NR capability, but you still need 6NF to be able to use it.

In my case lack of dealer knowledge has hamstrung the capability that was to be offered by the Combox cotroller. I'll wait and see what comes back from the Dealer on Monday. At least I'll then know what options I have.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Just got my basic snap-in adapter from BMW. Dealer parts Dept got it in special as he saw how rare they were. It's the only one they've managed to get. Seems to work OK and provides connection to the sharfin plus charges the phone. £72-00. Music runs via Bluetooth and at a guess the phone may well do too. It'll do for now whilst I await the outcome of the 6NF debacle.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:18 am

A minor update.....

I have been talking with a guy called Patryk in Poland about the missing 6NF option in my E71 and things are beginning to look interesting.

For the serious modder, he provides info on upgrading to a full CIC based system, and it looks at this stage as if he might be able to bring the full 6NR (BMW CONNECTED) function to those with Combox Controllers even though BMW say it's not possible.

I'm getting nowhere with getting the Dealer to do it as BMW are not supporting him at all, even though he did say that should an official kit appear then they'll see what can be done.

For those who are interested.....

See here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507330

Sent from my iPad in Phuket

acideraser

Post by acideraser » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:01 pm

I spoke to Patryk as well, he says we can enable 6NR (I have not specified it in my order) over the internet, I just need a coding cable.
As for the 6NF the new base plate and snap-in adapter are not yet available

Does anyone know where I can get a/m coding cable working with new BMW cars?
------------------------------------
2011 X5 xDrive30d SE Platinum Grey 20" 336 alloys

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:27 am

Never heard of one! I'm intrigued now as well. Perhaps the good Patryk can enlighten us? I'll certainly be looking to do summat with mine when I get back in a couple of weeks. I don't for one minute think it might be as simple as connecting a CAT5 network cable to the Ethernet port on the CIC though.... :headbang: