Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: X3 key costs  (Read 170 times)

November 30, 2017, 07:44:31 PM

X3driver

• View Profile
X3 key costs
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »
Hi all, just bought myself an x3 se 2012 from the auction. So far it has checked out okay and is pretty loaded more than i expected.Just hasn't got the tailgate button but can't win them all. It has a few dents which I need to sort but knew that before purchasing. Going to look for a local paintless dent repair to fix as I'm sure they will come out clean.

One of the issues I have is that it only came with 1 key. I rang my local bmw garage and their parts department advised it would be £235 and take 2 days. The guy on the phone said that they don't discount keys. That price is for the fob and blade.

Is there a cheaper way or anyone advise if they were able to knock a garage down on the price?

November 30, 2017, 08:46:32 PM
Reply #1

Horizon

• View Profile
Re: X3 key costs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum
Ring a few dealers, as they all charge different amounts, I've had to take in my V5 and picture ID before I've been able to order keys before. Never paid that much before though 🙁
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport fully loaded.in Black
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT in White. ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silver

November 30, 2017, 09:31:16 PM
Reply #2

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »
Also, try Cotswoldbmwmini on here.  BMW Dealership that offers member discounts.  Send them a PM with your VIN and they’ll be in touch.  BMW will have spare keys for the car, but they are getting expensive due to currency changes (€/£).  Later plug in keys are more expensive than the old conventional ‘twist to start’ versions.

When you do get the key, get all other keys that you don’t have killed off the system.  All cars came with 2 keys.

And :hi:
:type:

November 30, 2017, 10:43:10 PM
Reply #3

X3driver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
Thanks x5 and horizon. Will ring a few dealers tomorrow. Guy is spoke to did tell me I needed photo ID and v5.

My car is keyless start so thinking it would be slightly more.

December 01, 2017, 04:02:38 PM
Reply #4

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Get an RFID screening case/wallet for it from somewhere like Amazon too.  Same sort of thing that you can get for wallets and credit cards.

Keyless systems are really easy to steal with the kit now available on the web - and demonstrated on a BBC News article this week.
:type:

December 05, 2017, 09:11:07 PM
Reply #5

sharpharp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
LOL @X5 - you've just done what I did this week, I ordered the RFID key wallet in light of that video that did the rounds last week.

Been testing mine today, if you buy the Harry Tweed one, make sure you use the "barely there pocket" at the very back, other wise the main pocket does not block the signal (poor design especially given it's meant to block all signals).

Failing that people, just put the key in an empty Walkers crisp packet, the Canadian Ham works equally as well as any RFID blocker ;-)