Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General X5 Forum (E70) / Rear fog light replacement , what and how?
« Last post by celica on Today at 12:14:53 AM »
What bulb type is it and how?

Is the rear fog light in both rear left and and right clusters?
I do have a leak

I’ve heard a hissing noise when it drops which is sometimes when parked up

What could it be?

Assume not fault air bags as if it’s worn like the old ones it would always leak

I’m confused to understand what it could be?
So it’s been intermittent this issues
Sometimes come back to the car and it’s fine and sometimes it was dropped

Spent the afternoon loading the car to go to the tip and whilst sorting out the rear 3rd row seats in the car I got back out and heard a hissing air leaking noise. What could this be? Again it is this which is the intermittent problem.

Where and what could be the air leak to come on at times ?
Received these today.  Very happy with them .
Just to say thanks again.
Buy and sell / Re: Front/Rear Big Brake Kit for E53/E70/E71 - Price Reduced
« Last post by Moley on Yesterday at 08:35:36 PM »
Hello are you Raj  that used to drive a  black M5 ?
General X5 Forum (E53) / Re: self levelling suspension inactive
« Last post by X5Sport on Yesterday at 02:09:10 PM »
First check is probably to listen for the compressor (black dome in the boot) and then use detergent in water to see if there are any bubbles blowing past seals in the pipework.  A slow leak may trigger a time alarm in the system, as will an underperforming or failed compressor.

Have a look at the fuses too to make sure nothing has blown.  I think it’s fuses 51 & 62.  Front box is above the glovebox, rear in the right rear cubby.  There may be a rear fuse but I don’t have a fuse card to check against  :(
General X5 Forum (E53) / self levelling suspension inactive
« Last post by iross on Yesterday at 01:59:43 PM »
Hi

I have a query about my 2005 3.0D sport with rear air suspension

A couple of days ago the dash flashed up a self levelling suspension inactive message. This resets when the car is switched off but reappears a couple of minutes after restart.  I have read and cleared the fault-code but it comes back once the car has been restarted.  I read one thread that suggested the arms on the ride height sensors can seize - I pulled the wheels off this morning and have already ruled that one out. 
Apart from the fault, the suspension seems to be normal although I am not convinced it will air back up it is goes flat.

The fault-code reads

08 Control-time fault 'lifting'

Any suggestions?

I am not against ripping it out and fitting a pair of springs but no point in doing that if it can be fixed properly at a sensible cost, particularly as there is a possibility that I might fit a tow-bar to carry a dirt bike on a rack at some point.

Only other hitch is that I am in Cyprus and have to rely on BFPO for shipping.

Cheers
Buy and sell / Re: Genuine F15 X5 BMW Black kidney grills FOR SALE
« Last post by RichM50d on Yesterday at 11:21:45 AM »
Now sold
General X5 Forum (E70) / Re: 40d timing chain issue
« Last post by X5Sport on Yesterday at 11:06:39 AM »
30d & 40d are the same basic engine with additional hairdryer and state of tuning.
General X5 Forum (E70) / Re: 40d timing chain issue
« Last post by the shreksta on Yesterday at 10:16:52 AM »
I think we’ve had just one on here.....the M62 4.8V8 has a far higher failure rate.  Hardly a common problem given the number of 40d variants at all mileage’s and production years on the Forum.  Are you sure you aren’t mixing up with the N47 engine rather than the N57 engine?  The N47 4-cyl engine has been plagued with failures and has now been replaced by the B47 unit.  BMW have been paying out on that engine.

Timing chain failures are likely only covered if a full BMW service history was maintained and even then it could be classed as wear and tear.  Changing one requires a full engine removal as the chain is at the back of the engine for some odd reason!  A failure in service would be catastrophic unless at very low engine rpm, and even then the damage could be significant.

No recalls.

hi

yeah it was deffo the 40d twin turbo x5 im on about,i read it on a thread in the e70 section. i know about the v8 timing chain issues along with the chain guides aswell which is a shame as i would love a v8.

just trying to decide on either a 30d or a 40d- either way it will be through the approved used scheme and will be serviced to bmw guidelines to uphold the warranty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10