Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M60i experiences

Barney

M60i experiences

Post by Barney » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:17 pm

Hi all, looking to order the new X5 M60i, anyone got any experience / what are peoples thoughts on them.
Currently waiting for dealer to get me in one to test drive, got a 12 yr old 40d atm that I've been happy with (yeah, keep my cars a while)

thank, Paul

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M60i experiences

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:18 am

Matt Watson doing a test on the diesel version … got some of what you need.

https://youtu.be/5nQCX_ygeA0?feature=shared

I have almost the same iDrive (8 rather than 8.5) but do have the same display as this one in my i4. Takes a bit of getting used to but I find it really good.

If you are looking at options such as the Driver Assistance Professional Package (DAPP) you ought to be made aware that a number of the functions offered will not work in the UK as BMW can’t get approval for them. It’s presently the same with the i4, i5, i7, X5, X6, X7, iX1 and iX3. It stops hands free driving on motorways in slow traffic and won’t automatically change lanes. It does work in some parts of the EU though.

And you’re not the only one who keeps cars for a while. 19 years for her E46 and 14 years for my X6.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Barney

M60i experiences

Post by Barney » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:13 pm

Thanks, seen loads of reviews but not that one.

Going for the 4.4l V8 Petrol, don't do the miles really for a diesel and fuel costs not too much of an issue given lower usage so going back to petrol. Bit of a petrol head and wanted something a bit more obscene.
DAPP package, already decided against that as I wouldn't use most of it. Other than trim/finishes I'm looking at Comfort Pack and Parking Pro, although this guy/review doesn't rate the Parking function ? 'Only' £1100 option so worth a punt.

The M60i seems to come with loads as Standard, held off for years but really like the new look.

BTW, my other car, a Supra, I've now owned for 24 years !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M60i experiences

Post by X5Sport » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:14 pm

BMW does seem to have issues with its auto/assisted parking. I4 owners have been reporting using it and the car completely ignoring a viable space and just parking somewhere odd - like across the back of three cars! I’ve got it on the i4 but have never used it.

I know what you mean about going back to petrol if the miles aren’t being put on the car. We went electric because of the miles. That and having 544bhp plus instant torque under my right foot is ‘exciting’ if not treated with respect!

kenniff

M60i experiences

Post by kenniff » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:29 am

I went to the M50i 2 years ago and love the 4.4 petrol engine. It’s seriously quick.

Idk if they’ve changed much since then it’s the parking assist but i find it super useful. i use it all the time to parallel park in my street. it surprises me how small a space it can get into. I have only once insisted in parking in a space that it thought was too small - and it was a real pain to get it in!

I love the HUD, wouldn’t be without it, having had on my last 3 cars. Moon roof also a must for me. Have the Comfort plus pack and i like the seats and massage function. Air r\fragrance is a waste of glove box space. Not sure if they still do that?

kenniff

M60i experiences

Post by kenniff » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:31 am

I should have added - the laser headlights are superb. I had one fail after a couple of months, replaced under warranty. They really do improve night driving hugely.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M60i experiences

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:34 pm

Laser headlights are sadly being discontinued. BMW say their new ‘megapixel’ adaptive LEDs are better, and kinder to the environment (and no I don’t know what the lasers do that’s nasty!). Still available in a few models, but not for much longer.

I’ve got them on the i4 and they are well worth the extra - just don’t break one out of warranty. They are seriously expensive!!

Barney

M60i experiences

Post by Barney » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:44 pm

Ordered Saturday .. X5 M60i... Mid/Late July delivery. Seen some track the build online, how do I go about this ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M60i experiences

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:11 pm

In the UK? You can’t. Those nice people at BMW have only made a tracking facility in the US because they have to. Your Dealer should be able to give you a Production Number as soon as the order is accepted (sounds like it has been). With that you can call BMW UK Customer Services and they will tell you the status code. You may be at 111 or 112 (awaiting production). Once it hits 150 you cannot made changes.

I assume yours will come from Spartanburg and leave the US from Charleston. With some detective work you can identify the ship and then stalk your car. It will come into Southampton. Takes about three weeks from factory to the UK. Shipping is normally on one of Wallenius Wilhemsen fleet.

You can stalk the ship via one of the marine traffic sites (equivalent of Flightradar24 for ships).

Out of interest, how much is the VED for this version? I know some are over £2.7k/yr but I can’t imagine the BMW emissions are that bad!

Barney

M60i experiences

Post by Barney » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 pm

I believe it's a German build ??

Barney

M60i experiences

Post by Barney » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:48 pm

Tax has just gone up from £2600 something to around £2750 for the first year... criminal

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

M60i experiences

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:13 am

Barney wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 pm I believe it's a German build ??
Apart from the X1 & X2, they’re all built in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

Barney

M60i experiences

Post by Barney » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 am

To be fair they mentioned Spartanburg, sounded German to me .. lol. So it's a US build