Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tracker options new X5 ?

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Ordering an X5 M60i, there is an option of a tracker, I believe BMW use a Trackstar S5 ?

On one of my cars I have the old style 'Tracker' fitted and started looking at this and other makes with the thought of getting one fitted to the X5 when the car lands at the dealership.... then I wondered about Warranty issues, I'm thinking BMW will kick up a fuss if any electrical issues occur if a third party has touched wiring etc ?

Not a lot in it money wise, BMW fitted or arranged by me, just want the best type. What are peoples thoughts on the BMW supplied ones ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 pm

BMW won’t do the install. Trackstar (or Tracker) will send their own technical folks out to do the job. I’ve had one physically installed at the Dealership prior to delivery and it was done in an area where no dealer staff were permitted. They don’t want the dealers to know where the kit is hidden. My most recent one was done at home immediately after delivery, but was part of the delivery (if that makes sense) as I paid the Dealership and they made the arrangements and the install is warrantied by BMW - though Trackstar provide the support in the event of any issues.

If BMW support the S5 Advance, I think that adds immobilisation to petrol/diesel cars.

Note that a number of the older tracking systems (before 2015) very likely use 3G and Trackstar no longer support this. I’ve had upgrades to newer models. Both of our originals had O2 SIMS so should have still worked for several more years, but it wasn’t supported by Trackstar.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Wayfarer

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

I had the Trackstar cat 5 with immobilisation fitted to my X5 in late 2018, it runs on 4G.
At the time the sales guy provided me with the details so I could arrange to get it installed by the engineer who fits them for BMW, so had same device fitted, at a lower price as not branded or sold by BMW, ironically it was fitted in the Dealer workshop by the engineer who also fitted the BMW dash cam, saved a few quid, and paid the same for the first 3 year subscription as BMW offered, but after three years the BMW subscriptions stay low whereas the individual purchase subscriptions increase, managed to get the same rate last year and will see what happens at renewal.
The Trackstar app is awful, you can only review journeys at standard time, no fast forward or rewind, the map visualisation in the map is again hopeless. If you get the chance try snd get a demo of it before you commit.
Don’t think I would buy another Trackstar Device as and when I change cars.

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies,

Not read great reviews for Trackstar, it appears it's the only one BMW 'approve' even if it's fitted by a Trackstar engineer. My dilemma is if you go for anything else then any Warranty issues could be problematic.

Only other option is not to have a tracker, bit iffy on something that expensive and I'm guessing many Insurance companies insist on them being fitted ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 pm

That depends mainly upon your home location postcode. In London then very likely, somewhere a little less ‘urban’ and might be fine. Mine doesn’t insist it even give a discount. For the X6 they did, but not the others.

I’ve had their systems for decades. Used to have them in the fleet I was responsible for 20 years ago. The hardware seems OK but since they were sold to Teletrac Navman a few years back, customer service can be a bit hit & miss. They did not tell us that one of our systems wasn’t working so that resulted in a few pointed words being had.

I would have expected than any professional installer of any system would be fine as it;s not as if they don’t do lots of these installs, and the same installers usually do other systems as well - certainly the one who did my last one did. BMW just have a deal with those two (or is it just one now?) suppliers but I would be surprised if it caused a warranty issue to use some other system. They would just put that supplier on the hook for breakages etc.

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 pm

I'm now thinking the BMW Trackstar is a 'reasonable' option, will please the Insurers and cheaper then the Tracker top end (although not as good imo).
I'll ask if BMW do any other makes, doubt it. I live on the South East coast, bit of crime but not heard of any major car crime, having said that criminals travel so I think a tracker is a must for a £100k car.

My thoughts are if I go for anything other than BMW approved then any electrical issue will be blamed on the tracker fit... not worth the risk

kenniff

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by kenniff » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:22 am

I have the Trackstar - fitted at the dealership prior to delivery - though they didnt do a great job, delayed delivery and didnt work with the tags when delivered (the tags that are required to be in the car when you start the car. Result in the first few days was that Trackstar kept clalling me to say the car had been stolen - while i was driving it. eventually sorted.

What i would recommend 100% is a GHOST IMMOBILISER. I got one of these fitted after I bought it. The fitter showed me the tracker fitted by Trackstar and tidied up their installation. Apparently there are very few places that can install them.

Having had a car with a tracker (and tags) stolen I think the value of a tracker is only in what it saves you in insurance premium. A tracker that tells you as soon as the vehicle is started without the tag present simply gives you the bad news earlier. It didnt get me my car back, and i was literally 20 yards away from it when it happened.

The GHOST iMMOBILISER stops them driving it away. I’m not saying thy are foolproof, but they are better than a tracker. Also, get a stop lock pro steering lock as recommended to me by X5sport. Old fashioned but slows them down. Enjoy your new car and keep it around!

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info, how does Ghost work, enter code or tags ?

kenniff

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by kenniff » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:37 pm

Ghost - you set it up at the install but can change it when you like: basically you can use multiple buttons in the car in a sequence. So for example mine might be (but isn’t) nav button, right gear flap twice, indicate left. Point is that you choose the buttons and sequence and make it as short or as long as you like.

There’s also a button press sequence that only works after you’ve successfully input your unlock sequence- that turns the ghost device off. Handy for when you take it to the garage for a service. That way you don’t have to tell them your sequence.
From memory the install cost was around £250 and there are no maintenance fees.

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:23 pm

Thanks, might still go trackstar for insurance but Ghost seems a great addition

kenniff

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by kenniff » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm

Yes I’d do both - and I have 😃.
Losing an £85k car from in front of your house will do that lol

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:57 pm

Yep, I get that. Ghost seems reasonable and if it stops it getting knicked then great. Need tracker first for insurance, will look into ghost once she arrives

Barney

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by Barney » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:43 pm

Ordered my new X5 60i Saturday !!! Trackstar added and will look into Ghost once I've got it.

LV seem to be the better insurance Co for these atm, who are you guys with ?

kenniff

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by kenniff » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:08 pm

Changes every year, though often circles back to a name I’ve been with before. Right now I’m with Admiral - slightly cheaper than last year’s premium, but that co (Swiftcover) wanted to double last year’s (despite no claims).

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tracker options new X5 ?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:13 pm

I’m the sane. Mine changes depending upon what I can get. Currently Directline for the X6 and Aviva on the M50.