Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vibration at very low speeds

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the X6 (E71).
AndyD

Post by AndyD » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm

2010 X6 40d - I'm getting a vibration when decelerating to a stop, when reversing and when doing hard turns at low speed. When driving at speed there is no issue. I've had the engine and gearbox mounts changed. Inner rack arms, lower arms, drop links and track rod ends changed. Recent 4 wheel alignment done after 4 new tyres. The guy that normally does my maintenance has run out of ideas, so it looks like its heading for the BMW main dealer for diagnostics unless anyone has any idea of a solution. Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:02 pm

Is it or has it ever been fitted with non-approved tyres (with a ⭐️ on the sidewalls)?

Any odd grinding or groaning noises from the transmission?

BMW xDrive cars are very sensitive to tyres where a ‘staggered’ set are fitted. This usually shows up with low speed vibration, especially with a full steering lock at walking speed. Sometime a bit of jerkiness at low speed on tarmac such as a multi-story car park. It’s due to non-approved tyres not having matched circumferences. The difference winds the transmission up and either breaks a diff or the transfer box. It’s a known issue on the E53, E70 (X5s) and E71 (X6) as well as other models - and not just BMW.

Has the transmission fluid been changed in front/rear diffs, transfer and gear boxes? It must be done at 50,000 miles or 8 years. BMW say it’s ’Sealed for Life’. It isn’t. Their ‘life’ is three years. ZF who make the box state the above change intervals are necessary. The X6 has a special rear diff and needs two different fluids in its three chambers. Wrong fluids will damage the system. A full fluid change will set you back around £1k with an Indy. Using OEM fluids is a must. Mine got a bit jerky at very low speeds on smooth surfaces and changing the fluids all through sorted it.

Brake callipers ‘sticking’ - shows up with one wheel hub being hotter than the others? I’ve had this on mine twice and it was the front callipers both times. The piston rusts and jams so keeping the brakes slightly on.

Just some things to look into.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am

Think there was an issue with the front prop universal joint corroding and failing on these worth a check too.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm

Leslie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 am Think there was an issue with the front prop universal joint corroding and failing on these worth a check too.
Well remembered. There’s a recall for it - and that should long since have been done! Failure is catastrophic as it can put a hole in the bottom of the engine.

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:51 pm

Thanks all, I took it to a BMW main dealer and the diagnosis was transfer box replacement. Now done. £5k ouch!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 pm

:o

And they never repair them only replace! Others will fix. At least you have a good one now :thumbsup: