Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight vertical aim control failure warning

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
sharpharp

Headlight vertical aim control failure warning

Post by sharpharp » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:27 pm

You've got to be kidding.... 3 weeks out of manufacturers warranty and out of the blue I get this warning pop up "Headlight vertical aim control failure warning".

This was during the day and while I was parking up. Switched engine off, but the warning was still there when I restarted and was present in the Warning section.

Left the car for an hour, then drove around and the warning disappeared and warning section now says "No Faults"....

What's going on? Any ideas what this is it and what the repair is? Why would the warning go away if it was flagged earlier?

Mine is a 20D M-sport, just 3 years old and with standard halogen bulbs, no fancy options on the lights.
Last edited by sharpharp on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Headlight vertical aim control failure warning

Post by Horizon » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:55 pm

If you turn the car on with the lights on ( not on the Auto setting but on the permanant headlight setting whilst facing a wall ) does the headlight aim do the nodding up and down test ?
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 pm

[quote="Horizon"]
If you turn the car on with the lights on ( not on the Auto setting but on the permanant headlight setting whilst facing a wall ) does the headlight aim do the nodding up and down test ?
[/quote]

Hi,

Just been and tried that. Yes it did the nodding up and down test. It also adjusts when you use the adjustment wheel as well.

I've got it booked in for a look, but there hasn't been any sign of the warning since...

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am

Took the car to the dealership to get checked out today and before they would take the keys they wanted £100 excess.... WTF.

I explained there had been no fault all week and that I was happy to pay the excesss (extended warranty with £100 excess) if there was indeed a fault and it required work, but not paying if there was no fault.

They wouldn't budge, so walked away.... This is service you get from BMW, they will sting you for the excess just for 2 minutes work to plug it up to a computer while there technicians play on their mobile phones.

No loyalty for customers, it's all show and cash grabs from BMW Dealers, especially my local one.