Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parrot Kit affecting Rear Reverse Camera

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
RobbieS

Parrot Kit affecting Rear Reverse Camera

Post by RobbieS » Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 am

Hi there
Any advice would be much appreciated on this.

I bought a 2012 X3 M Sport Xdrive Auto a few months ago.  It was advertised as having Bluetooth however after getting it home I discovered it didn't.  As compensation the dealership (after a lot of effort) agreed to install a Hands Free Parrot Kit (MKI9200).

It was installed yesterday.  When I got the car home I realised that the rear reverse camera is now not working (blank screen - an error message coming up on the dash 'reverse camera failure').  I immediately assumed that in installing the Parrot Kit, the technician has knocked out the reverse camera as it was working when I dropped the car off.

I have spoken with the dealership and they are wiping their hands of it.  The technician claims he did not touch the reverse camera wiring as it is entirely separate from the Parrot Kit wiring.  I do not have the knowledge to disagree, so any advice from the forum would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Rob

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Parrot Kit affecting Rear Reverse Camera

Post by graemeX5 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi

Have you any prof it was working before they worked on the car and then when you picked it up it wasn't then you would probably have a case. I assume you have checked that the camera is not damage externally first off.

Was it a BMW tech who installed the parrot kit or a auto electrician? The reason is I know on my old TT we need a module to get the parrot kit to work with the audio unit. Again on the wife's old Astra if I recall correctly. the switched live is the opposite to other systems and my auto electrician was aware of all this.

If a BMW technician was doing the installation you would expect them to be aware of where the feed to the camera is and it could be possibly simply be a loose or disturbed wiring connection so worth checking first.

It may even be worth a try asking bmw again to check the camera for you and getting a quote to fix it but they may decide to even charge you for the diagnostics, let alone a repair. If you bought the car from them a few months ago as an Approved used car then it should have a BMW warranty on it, and it may even be worth going that route.

I am sure X5Sport or Horizon or another member may be able to help more.

If not I guess if you can try disconnecting the parrot kit, depending on you skill level, and then rear camera works that would show a link between the two systems.

However I think you would only be able to do this by tracing the wiring that has been installed for the parrot kit and whether maybe the power feed to the camera has been utilised or diverted to the parrot kit or hopefully it's just a connection has come loose even.

If you do a search on parrot website you can download their wiring diagrams for the installation and that would help identify the wiring.  If you aren't electrically minded then a call to a good auto electrician could save a lot of time.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Parrot Kit affecting Rear Reverse Camera

Post by Horizon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 pm

[quote="RobbieS"]
Hi there
Any advice would be much appreciated on this.

I bought a 2012 X3 M Sport Xdrive Auto a few months ago.  It was advertised as having Bluetooth however after getting it home I discovered it didn't.  As compensation the dealership (after a lot of effort) agreed to install a Hands Free Parrot Kit (MKI9200).

It was installed yesterday.  When I got the car home I realised that the rear reverse camera is now not working (blank screen - an error message coming up on the dash 'reverse camera failure').  I immediately assumed that in installing the Parrot Kit, the technician has knocked out the reverse camera as it was working when I dropped the car off.

I have spoken with the dealership and they are wiping their hands of it.  The technician claims he did not touch the reverse camera wiring as it is entirely separate from the Parrot Kit wiring.  I do not have the knowledge to disagree, so any advice from the forum would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Rob
[/quote]its very easy to disturb something when you have the dash in bits, why do these people just not say, bring it back in and we will have a look !!!
We do at work. Whatever happened to holding you hands up and admitting you may have caused a
Problem. Whatever happened to customer service
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv