Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LPG

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: LPG

Post by henrym3 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for that, I'll be all over it like a rash tomorrow. Don't like my car taking several attempts to start.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sat May 13, 2017 9:49 am

I've had mine fitted for 11 years and done about 50K, must admit I donot have the lpg system serviced as my BMW non franchise garage does not like lpg (says it runs too hot and damages the engine) so I have the oil and oil filter changed  annually with the mot regardless of mileage (always less than 5K).
Have just fitted an engine oil pressure on restart system to help with dry engine starts.
I occasionally get a problem with switch over from petrol to lpg if I have run the lpg out, problem being she will die on full throttle as if it is weak, run at low speed (up to 50mph) all ok ,but flooring the pedal she will die and have to switch back to petrol.
Eventually all will be ok, I'm assuming one of the solenoids is not operating correctly , but am not too worried about it.
My system is Regulator : Easyset, Autogas Italia is the system fitted with a Stako 95litre tank, have been told this is a very good system.
I have no idea if or where a filter is fitted.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Mine has 2 filters which are changed every year, if your's haven't been changed in 11 years perhaps I'm over servicing. Or perhaps your's dies on full throttle because the filter is partially blocked?? When I first changed the filter I was surprised at the amount, of what I can only describe as dust that came out with the filter.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun May 14, 2017 9:32 am

I have no idea where the filters are situated, if I knew I would change it / them.
What do the look like.?
The companhy that fitted the system is 50 miles from me and was a ''1 man band'', the man who ran it has now retired and ceased trading. The system installation was checked by the lpg certificating authority in a snap inspection 3 months after fitting and was given a clean bill of health.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:04 pm

I suppose all the systems have various differences but I have a very small filter where the gas line enters the engine bay, then another larger one between reducers and the injectors.
Did some checking through the service paper work and didn't see that the fuel filter has  been changed, so ordered one of them, when It arrives I'll change it and whilst under there I'll check the crankshaft sensor is giving the right resistance as per kkx5's hints of things to check but I'm not sure I shouldn't change it as these things can give a good reading when cold then play up when hot although I have no engine related fault codes.
VW R32 Gone

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Have just had a long chat with the LPG man and he assured me that the vehicle will start on LPG as long as it is above a set temperature. He has now switched this option off so as to see/prove if the hot starting problem is petrol or LPG related. The diagnostics is also showing the reducers are loosing pressure when flooring the throttle and causing the system to switch to petrol although this is not noticeable when driving. His recommendation is that we try and sort the starting problems first. To that end I'm changing the fuel filter first check I'm getting 600/650 ohms at crank sensor. Then decide from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VW R32 Gone

Imy

Post by Imy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:20 pm

any update on this?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 pm

:oops:Having moaned at people for not finishing threads, I can assure you all that I have mentally given myself a good bollocking.
Fitted a new filter and checked the reading from crankshaft sensor which was ok, the LPG man via diagnostics switched of the ability to start on LPG and all the problems have gone away. Perhaps I should have been more patient and done one thing at a time to know absolutely which change fixed the problem, but I'm sure you understand that one just wants the thing fixed.
VW R32 Gone