Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pre-Purchase Advice Please!

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Hughieboy

Pre-Purchase Advice Please!

Post by Hughieboy » Thu May 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Good Evening,

I'm on the look out for an F25 X3. I seem to have been looking forever! There are so many variations and I have a budget to try and stick to, could someone who knows best help me out here please?

I have a budget of up to £20k ideally, maybe a bit more if I go down the PCP route.

Things I think I'd like;

LCI facelift model
30d if poss
Pan Roof
Electric Memory Seats (sharing it with the Wife who adjusts EVERYTHING!)
Professional Sat Nav/Media with music hard drive.
M Sport or poss X Line

Given the above and my budget which makes suitable cars few and far between and compromises may have to be made, I'd like to know what experienced owners think about;

LCI over bigger engine or the other way round? Would I be better spending on a facelifted 20d or buying an older shape car with the bigger engine?

Age and mileage - I don't feel overly comfortable about spending nothwards of £15k on 5 or 6 year old cars or cars with over 70k miles on them. Is this well founded or not a big deal on these cars?

There is no shortage of cars but it seems hard to find a car that has all the things I would want. For instance, there is a dark metallic brown X-Line 30d with Pro Nav and a sunroof in the right price range... but it has ivory seats with red stitching! Which just looks wrong on a brown car to my eyes...

So there it is. Older (pre 2014) 30d M Sport in a sensible colour scheme and all the bells and whistles or newer LCI 20d with compromises on spec? Head says newer car, heart says go for the toys and the grunt!

Where would it make most sense to spend my money and is the LCI upgrade that good and worth more than the larger engine?

I hope this makes sense and look forward to any advice!

Thanks.

Stevo

Re: Pre-Purchase Advice Please!

Post by Stevo » Thu May 10, 2018 10:32 pm

I recently bought a 2013 pre facelift 3 litre d with all the toys + 19" rims, sport pack, x pack, winter pack etc. Price-wise just under 18k and mileage 56k which is nothing.
The straight 6 engine is an absolute beast and a joy to drive. Astonishing performance for a car this size.
Up until recently I was averaging 30 mpg but now getting around 34-35 with the warmer weather.

Your call at the end of the day on year and mileage but the 3.0 D is one helluva car. :)

Neal

Post by Neal » Sat May 12, 2018 6:22 pm

I personally look at the practicalities over added extras. I’ve constantly got the cost of parts, tyres etc in the back of my mind. I’d always go for the 6 cylinder before anything else is considered. There’s nothing wrong with the 20D but the 30D powers these cars effortlessly. I was also happy to settle for the 18” wheels, give a slightly smoother ride and the tyres are less costly. Mine is a 2012 M-sport and I love it. I’ve got the panoramic roof but wouldn’t opt for it again. I’ve seen a few go wrong. The spec of a car is a totally personal thing. I went out looking for a 6 cylinder diesel, that was top of my list. You’re spending your hard earned money so buy the car YOU want.

Hughieboy

Post by Hughieboy » Sun May 13, 2018 6:09 am

Thanks for the info guys... Must admit, much as I like the idea, I'm getting the idea that the sunroof isnt the be all and end all... Heart still says 30d but as the wife is going to be using it to commute in the week economy has to be a factor. Haven't had a comment from a 20d owner to compare though.
Cheers for your input,
Hugh.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun May 13, 2018 10:36 am

Never driven a 2.0 and would not consider one as in my mind it would be under powered.
Mileage is not a problem if it has good service history and I think the 3.0d would go on for ever if looked after properly.