Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

help closing panoramic roof

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
evoblue

help closing panoramic roof

Post by evoblue » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 pm

I have a panoramic roof the one which splits in two. The one at the back the small section is not closing or moving at all :x . The front section opens and closes no problem :) . There was a crunch when the roof was closing :( . I have taken it to a garage to get it under cover and for them to have a look. I am looking to see if its possible to close the back section permanantly or until it can be repaired. it is a non BMW garage so any help would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: help closing panoramic roof

Post by X5Sport » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Sounds like the linkage between the two panels has broken. How old is the car? There have benn problems with the Pano roof qnd some owners have got BMW to pay for repairs. It'll need disassembling to close the open section, and to be honest you might as well get the repairs done if it's been taken to bits to make it close. The parts are about £80-£100 depending upon what's busted. A full BMW repair will be an ouch! See if your indy is up to it instead. It's the labour charge that adds up on these, but a new roof cassette and re-used glass is worse!

Parts diagram.....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=54&fg=05
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

evoblue

Post by evoblue » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Thanks for the information. The local garage is good they will try anything. my car is an 05 3.0d. I looked at realoem but did not really see what part it was. I will get the garage to strip down and see what they find. There was a crunch and one side was down (passenger side) and one was still up (driver).

Monkeyman

Post by Monkeyman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:55 am

[quote=""evoblue""]Thanks for the information. The local garage is good they will try anything. my car is an 05 3.0d. I looked at realoem but did not really see what part it was. I will get the garage to strip down and see what they find. There was a crunch and one side was down (passenger side) and one was still up (driver).[/quote]

I had that exact problem with my E70....went to a stealer and whilst I pressed the close button...a SMALL amount of pressure was put on the non closing side and it popped down and has worked fine since......I may have just been lucky though......Good Luck
Previous

E30 325i 2 door
E36 323i Coupe
Volvo T4........God knows why....but damm quick
E60 530d M Sport
E70 3.0sd SE Space Grey

Current

E70 3.0sd M Sport Carbon Black

evoblue

Post by evoblue » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:31 am

Just phoned garage they have managed to close the back part. I think that's how it will stay as it could be very expensive to strip down. If I get a spare few days I might have a go. Thanks for the help.

Post by 24235052 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I too had this problem with my e70. called out BMW breakdown services as it was raining and roof was open, technician put a small amount of downward force onto problem side of rear glass which then clicked into place and no problem since last summer. He then stated that he has seen this a few times with the sunroofs but all that is required is as explained. Hope this helps?
Black M sport X6 (F16)
Cold weather pack
Comfort seats
HUD
Multi-func panel
HK sound system
Surround view/Rev camera
Sun protection glass

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:30 pm

[quote=""evoblue""]Just phoned garage they have managed to close the back part. I think that's how it will stay as it could be very expensive to strip down. If I get a spare few days I might have a go. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Having read the BMW TIS for the sunroof, I think you're making a wise choice. Some work can be done with it in place and just parts of the headlining and certain pillar trims removed/lowered. Other work requires two people and the whole damned cassette removing from the car. There are a number of special tools used, though this may just be BMW's way of keeping others away from playing with it!!

The rear glass on mine 'pops' when opened and has done since new. The supplying dealer adjusted a few times but could never get it 100%. It does not get opened much as a result.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.