Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacement Battery - is this the answer ?

X5_twin

Replacement Battery - is this the answer ?

Post by X5_twin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:14 am

Hi,

I've been having a few issue with my X5 e70 3.0sd and they are all adding up to make the ownership of the car a pain in the arse now !

- Drivers door doesn't lock from remote (need to use the key in the remote fob to unlock it and lock it, all other doors work with the remote. I appreciate this may just need a new actuator).

- Sat nav not working (always "states insert DVD").

- Drivers seat position doesn't always move to the right position when I open the car.

- The memory generally for things like air con seems inconsistent - i.e when i start the car the air con isn't always set to same temp as when the car was last used. Drivers eat in wrong position etc.

I've been advised the battery may well be a contributing factor. The car is 2008 and has done a lot of driving in London (short journeys) so may have a knackered battery. Before I get the existing battery tested / replaced at circa £100 is there anything else you guys can suggest worth trying.

I appreciate these issues may not all be related to the battery, but if I can start to knock a few off the list with a new battery it's got to be worth £100 as they are all driving me bloody mad. I love driving the car, but these little things really bug me day to day (i.e  I recently unlocked the door with the key (in the rain) with my hands full and found the drivers seat almost on the steering wheel and the air con on 28 for some reason and the sat nav screen blank... again !!  >:()

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.  :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Replacement Battery - is this the answer ?

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:25 pm

It's possible, but get the battery tested to see if it really is the 'cause'.

The replacement battery will need to be coded to the car so it knows it has been swapped.  The car is alleged to modify its charging system as the battery ages, so swapping it out without doing the change coding could cause issues later.
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.