Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help Broadband crashing

General off-topic chat.
graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Help Broadband crashing

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi

I need a little help with broadband problems that I have had today,

I worked from home yesterday for 3 hours in the morning without any issues using work laptop cable wired to  a talk talk router and then linked via a micro filter then connected to main phone socket.

Today I was working from home today again same set up and lost connection at 11 then rebooted laptop and router, then at 1230 lost connection and then router had a red light where it shows the Internet symbol and is usually green or flashing green. This was the only device connected.

Router rebooted and laptop connected ran speed test on talktalk  and speed was download over 9 upload was about o.3 and latency 38ms after talking to chap in IT at work he thought it was the Internet dropping out. So I got talktalk and they checked the line and they say there are no issues,

I managed to get working at 230pm but finished work at 4pm as concerned about losing connection. So then ran speed tests again download over 10 upload 0.6 . Have turned laptop off and using iPad for a while ok then router Internet symbol went red so re started it, then ok, no whilst typing the Internet symbol went red now no light and now red and now back green as I finish this post

The talktalk router was installed Sunday as I had the previous week with the netgear router losing connection ( everyday but it was 6 yrs old and now thrown it. I managed to connect work laptop, 2x iPads, the home pc, and eventually my laptop to the talktalk router and all was fine.

Any idea where I start with this one ?
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help Broadband crashing

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Could be a bad line, bad filter, bad connection in the phone socket, too much noise on the line, poor signal/noise ratio, excess line loop loss.

You will need to interrogate your router settings to establish what the issue might be.

I'm assuming you don't have a BT supplied line?  If it is a BT line then use their speed tester utility.  The url keeps changing but a Google search should find it.

You need to have a S/N ratio of better than 7dB - the difference between signal & noise floor.  Higher=better.
Your line loop loss should not exceed 35dB - signal loss for data going to the exchange and back. Lower=better.

If available you need to check your CRC error level.  It should be nearly 0.  If it isn't then the line is suspect.  Your FEC level should also be low, but may be a few hundred.  The two details are the error correction rate.  High numbers indicate a high level of error correction being needed and data packets having to be re-sent frequently.

Unfortunately cheapo 'free' routers supplied by ISPs frequently won't give you this info.  You will need the unit's admin password to be able to get at it.
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi

I have managed to get at router setting and details are

Connection Status
Help
ADSL synchronization status Up 
ADSL up time 01:13:42 

Line Status
Help
Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 713
Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 11366
Line standard ADSL2+
Channel type
Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB)  14.7
Downstream SNR (dB)  10.7
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 14.8
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 29
Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.5
Downstream output power (dBmV) 0
Upstream CRC 6769
Downstream CRC 65467
Upstream FEC 50866
Downstream FEC 65363

The CRC and FEC seem high compared to what you said  does this mean it's the line ?
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Looking at that, yes.  The CRC should be almost zero.  FEC is not unusual but is higher than it should be.

Your line 'losses' look pretty good.  Data rates up and down look OK too.  SNR is well within the normal range.

It could be a line card in the exchange, but is usually a bad joint somewhere in the line between your router and the exchange.

My CRC after 158 days since last reboot is 0 in both directions.  Yours is 65,000 after just over an hour by the looks of it, unless that is 1 day plus hours & minutes?

BT put a new underground line in here last year because of CRC errors.  Water in the cable was suspected.  The engineer was able to tell how far from my house the fault actually lay.
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Thank you for your help and confirmation.

I did reboot of the router was about an hour ago or so
Whilst having problems with the connection I rang Talktalk for the 3rd time today, and this time the chap ran the tests and this Tim he agreed there was a problem with the connection.

At last someone agreed with me, as a result they are sending out an engineer on Tuesday and if the fault is theirs they will fix if install a new router etc but if it's in the house I will have to pay for the call, but from this its promising it's the line and hopefully we will have broadband that works.  :)

donkeybrains

Post by donkeybrains » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:32 pm

I've had some similar problems with plusnet today if that makes you feel better.

I've had to restart the router a few times

donkeybrains

Post by donkeybrains » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Just upgraded mine to fibre optic #winning