Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xenon headlights

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Dougiebear

Xenon headlights

Post by Dougiebear » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi folks, has anyone tried a xenon upgrade, was looking at the kits on Amazon. Any thoughts ? Cheers guys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Xenon headlights

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Lots of folks have done it on the E53 which might give you some ideas.

Look at HIDS4U, or HIDS Direct as other sources of kits.

The usual ones are 55W with a colour temp around 5,000°K.  Much higher than 6,000°K and the light goes 'blue' and your eyes aren't as sensitive to blue light so they appear dimmer.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Doesn't a proper xenon upgrade require the correct headlamps as otherwise the standard reflective headlamp will just spray the light in all directions and dazzle on coming traffic.  Just think about all those 18 year olds with Corsa's
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:52 pm

[quote="Pinewood"]
Doesn't a proper xenon upgrade require the correct headlamps as otherwise the standard reflective headlamp will just spray the light in all directions and dazzle on coming traffic.  Just think about all those 18 year olds with Corsa's
[/quote]

If the car has Halogen lights as standard and has projector headlights, you can fit a HIDS kit as pointed out by X5 sport. HIDS direct is the one I used 55 W slimline ballast kit on my E53.
As good as Xenon headlights. Very cheap worthwhile upgrade.
Last edited by Horizon on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:34 pm

[quote="Pinewood"]
[/quote]

Absolutely right.  You should only use HID lamps ending with an 'R' (such as D2R) for reflector - though many Corsa drivers just ignore that bit!  And they just fit the cheapest they can find with the arc in the wrong place so the focal point is out too.. >:(

'S' lamps (like D2S) should only be used in projector type light units - as found in many, but not all BMWs.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevsta

Post by trevsta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 am

Hi All,

I have a noob question about Xenon / Angel Eye type lights..

I have just bought a X3 2011 2.0 Auto SE  ( F25 ) the lights are standard and my wife wants the angel eye look. Am I right in thinking first I need to buy a pair of complete Halogen light units and replace them and then upgrade to the angel eye with one of the kits off hids4u ?

Many Thanks

Trev

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:18 am

If the lights are standard then they are already Halogen bulbs.  What exactly are you trying to do?

If the F25 already has angel eyes then are you trying to get the 'white' look?  If so you will struggle unless you go OEM.  There are no after-market offerings that plug & play in that will give you the right look in daylight as they are simply not bright enough, or do not correctly couple to the light pipe inside the lamps.

If you want the full OEM look then you need all the right hardware and a mortgage to pay for it!  :(

If you want HID (Xenon arc) type lamps then you may be able to modify the existing lamp units with a kit.

trevsta

Post by trevsta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

We have "standard" lights and want the angel eyes look. I guess is the cost if going to be too high ill have to tell the wife to start saving :)

Thanks

Trev