Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Question for the Infotainment/Comms experts.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Nat

Question for the Infotainment/Comms experts.

Post by Nat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi,

It might seem like a stupid question, so I hang my head in shame in advance just in case.

One for the connectivity experts...............

I don't remember where I read it, but can the E70 ( mine is a 2013 April car )  take apps ? If so , how does one do that please ?

Id love to have waze on the main screen .

It can take cd's and copy the tracks to its hard drive , so what else can it do ?

Thanks

Regards,

Nat.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Question for the Infotainment/Comms experts.

Post by pvr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:47 pm

No.

But if you do find a way, let me know as I use Waze as well in the X5 and only get the voice through the BT system, nothing else.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 pm

retrofit com box would do the trick I think. Would enable bluetooth streaming, apps, browser etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nat

Post by Nat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Mmmm  comm box...........never heard of that. You learn something new every day.

I found this article trying to educate myself/learn some more................

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=772784

It talks about ensuring you get a comm box post Jan 2013.
My E70 is April 2013. Does that mean i have one somewhere ?

Are there any comms exprets in the South East that anyone can recommend. I find the main dealers a little limited in their knowledge of what the car can actually do technology wise.

Thanks
Nat.

litany

Post by litany » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 pm

I could easy sort out for you.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Comboxes should have been standard by 2013.  Check for option 6VC in your build sheet against the VIN.  Installations began in October 2010 if you had Bluetooth streaming support and either USB options (6NF and/or 6FL) fitted.  6NR was the replacement option that gave BMW Apps as well as the USB connections to both the armrest and phone cradle baseplate (needs a media adapter top plate for your phone though).

No native app support in the car, only what BMW included/supported with option code 6NR....which also needs the Combox Controller (6VC) if it isn't listed.

You may need an on board wifi hotspot to make it work and I think that only came in with the F15, but I'm not 100% certain if that.

As with the E53 Bluetooth fiasco a generation earlier, there are multiple versions of the Combox.  They were supposed to be a common platform that needed simple software updates to bring in extra functionality.  Reality is that each new capability actually needs new hardware as well as firmware!  Exactly as happened with the E53.
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Try Patrick at Bimmertech - they can do all sorts with coding remotely etc.  I had BMW Apps coded and activated remotely by them in my E70, they can do a lot of software and hardware upgrades, it is a whole lot easier if you already have a combox.  My 2012 E70 has one - it was a late 2011 build.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

litany

Post by litany » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:14 am

Bmw apps 6NR can't be just coded without proper firmware update. It is not possible to code this option on 2013 e70 remotely.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Well then I must be lying or incredibly stupid,  :blink:as BMW Apps has been coded to my car, remotely, plus validly activated with purchase of a BMW activation key.

I am certainly not dreaming, but BMW Apps is definitely alive and well and working very well indeed within its own limitations on my car. 

So BMW Apps CAN be retrocoded, whether this is done remotely or otherwise is actually irrelevant, although mine WAS done remotely (!).  (i know I know, clearly dreaming / lying or fantasising again!

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Nat

Post by Nat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:55 pm

Thank you all for all the input/advice and your time.

Will search further. As people have said , I can get BMW apps, but the list of available apps tiny and I certainly  have no interest in facebook, twatter or wiki whilst I am driving thats for sure.

Regards,
Nat.

Nat

Post by Nat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi,

What I am looking for does exist................have spoken to them and they tell me its the easiest retrofit kit to fit.

Just have to weigh up the cost and find out if I have to pay extrotionate govt tax ......aka import duty.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-x5 ... -retrofits

Regards,

Nat.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:48 pm

They do know their stuff there, Nat, I would happily use them again.    The list of apps for BMW apps is even smaller now since Aupeo closed up shop and Facebook and Twitter off as well (who would use these while drivng anyway?)  Internet radio is quite decent on it, though.
Last edited by CondorX5 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

litany

Post by litany » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm

[quote="CondorX5"]
Well then I must be lying or incredibly stupid,  :blink:as BMW Apps has been coded to my car, remotely, plus validly activated with purchase of a BMW activation key.

I am certainly not dreaming, but BMW Apps is definitely alive and well and working very well indeed within its own limitations on my car. 

So BMW Apps CAN be retrocoded, whether this is done remotely or otherwise is actually irrelevant, although mine WAS done remotely (!).  (i know I know, clearly dreaming / lying or fantasising again!
Last edited by litany on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm

[quote="litany"]
[quote="CondorX5"]

litany

Post by litany » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:51 am

[quote="CondorX5"]
[quote="litany"]
[quote="CondorX5"]