Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

upgrading x1 to x3

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
mchedfan

upgrading x1 to x3

Post by mchedfan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice from current X3 owners on choosing the right car, options etc.

I currently drive a 2012 X1 Xline 25d, but find it’s a little on the small side for my family’s needs so am looking to upgrade to an X3 in the next few month.

Having read up and watched various reviews etc, my preferred option at the moment would be a circa 3 year old X3 35d M Sport  with 30-40k miles from the BMW approved used stock. Colour wise, I think all the M-Sport colours are fine to be honest so not massively fussed  In terms of options, I have a few essentials and some that are only ‘nice to haves’ but not essential.

Essentials
- Pro Nav (have this in the X1 and wouldn’t want to downgrade)
- Visibility Pack
- Heated front seats
- Rear tinted windows (could always add these post purchase of course)

Nice to have (so would pay a little extra or travelled a little further for these, but not a deal breaker)
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Power bootlid
- Variable Dampers (did think of having these as an essential but they seem so rare that I would be severely restricting my choice of cars)
- Premium sound system
- Folding mirrors
- Reversing camera

From your own experiences have I missed anything that should be considered an essential, and how much do you value some of the ‘nice to haves’?

Obviously the 35d tends to come at around a £1500-£2000 premium over the 30d, and £3500-£4000 over the 20d. How much of a difference is there really between a 30d and 35d? i.e. I’m thinking a better specced 30d might be preferable over the 35d if there’s not much real world difference in performance. Should I be considering the 20d as well?

Also, what are your experiences of part-exchanging at the BMW dealer – do they offer fair prices (i.e. consistent with what the likes of Parkers suggest your car is worth)? I may opt to sell privately if part-exing with BMW means taking a big hit on my current car’s value.

Finally, I believe there’s a new X3 due out this year. How much of an impact does this tend to have on pricing of the old model? Just wondering whether there might be a big benefit in waiting a few months for the new model order book to open if prices of the 2014 facelift cars will drop substantially as a result (the newer 2014 model is probably a little outside my budget at the moment)

Many thanks in advance for any advice or insight you might have.

MattX

Re: upgrading x1 to x3

Post by MattX » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I didn't get a 35D in the end just due to lack of availability more than anything.

I got a 2012 30D from BMW last year with:
Pro nav
Heated, electric oyster leather with lumbar support
Xenon
Adaptive lights
Panoramic sunroof
19" Style 369's
Tints
Paddle shift 'box
Folding mirrors
Reverse camera

I personally wouldn't have any less than any of that. Especially as I had an E46 convertible, the sunroof retains "some" open air driving.
I would have liked a different interior trim, fineline for example over the aluminium but we found it REALLY hard to find a high specc'd X3. I would have also liked the comfort opening system as, with a small baby, sometimes I don't have a hand free to push the button. I haven't missed the auto boot option though, which goes against that really.
I put it down to the fact a lot must be company cars and basic spec orders.

bshworth

Post by bshworth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:13 pm

I've just picked up a 63 plate X3 m sport 2.0D through the BMW AUC. I also wanted a 3.0 but couldn't find any specced high enough in my time frame and within my budget. We traded in our F10 525D they gave a slightly better price than webuyanycar, and I haggled some (but not a lot) off the purchase price.

I bought the car over the phone without seeing the car, as it was in Edinburgh and we live in the south West, I wouldn't have done this unless it was an AUC and the car was prepped to a very high standard on my arrival. Another thing to note was that I found on returning home that part of the door trim had come away and wouldn't clip back, the dealer arranged to have it fixed at my local garage which was good.

It has
VDC
Auto with paddles
Surround View
Electric seats/memory/lumbar
Pro nav
Xenon/visibility pack
Electric tailgate
Comfort Access

One thing I have noticed is that the boot hasn't been as big as I thought it was going to be. We have a newborn with a bugaboo cameleon and it takes up the whole boot! So I'd compare it with the new X1 as it maybe very comparable?
I'd also hold out for as long as you can for a 3.0 as I wish we had, it's no where near as smooth as our previous 6 cylinder.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

bshworth

Post by bshworth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:15 pm

[quote="MattX"]
I would have also liked the comfort opening system as, with a small baby, sometimes I don't have a hand free to push the button.
[/quote]

The comfort access doesn't work on the rear doors annoyingly!

mchedfan

Post by mchedfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks for your input. Based on specs the x3 boot should be quite a bit bigger - 550 v 420 litres, but will compare side by side as suggested. I'm also thinking a little wider than BMW right know, a nearly new Octavia VRS 4x4 estate looks damn good value for money, and feels a more "sensible" option-even bigger boot, longer warranty, lower miles etc. it just depends whether I actually want to be sensible or not!!!

bshworth

Post by bshworth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:00 pm

We were going to hold out for a kodiaq but it was going to be too long a wait until we saw one and then the wait for it to be built and delivered.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm waiting for the twin-turbo Kodiaq which should be available late this year or early next.  I have an invite to a launch event next week.  Dealers get them in March.

The 190DSG engine may be a little underwhelming on the Kodiaq, and given the dreadful economy figures most Škoda Superb 3 owners with that engine are getting, you probably made a wise choice.  Even the X5 M50d does better!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mchedfan

Post by mchedfan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Interesting how many BMW owners are considering a switch to Skoda!! I like the look of the Kodiaq as well, and the Superb estate is pretty damn impressive in Sportline trim as well.

Not made my mind up yet, but another possibility I've added to my list is the Passat estate - good value at 6-12 months old, prices on par or possibly lower than equivalent Superb, even more so with the current £1250 deposit contribution + 2 free services on offer with PCP finance (which  you can just pay off in full within 14 days for a small fee). The BiTdi looks particularly appealing with 4x4 + 240PS!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 pm

I have a Superb 3 190DSG 4x4 Kombi in L&K trim.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am

[quote="bshworth"]

[quote="MattX"]
I would have also liked the comfort opening system as, with a small baby, sometimes I don't have a hand free to push the button.
[/quote]

The comfort access doesn't work on the rear doors annoyingly!

[/quote]
The rear doors on my X6 work with comfort access.

sharpharp

Post by sharpharp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:17 am

Tell you what......... I will never buy an X3 or in fact any BMW ever again without Variable Dampers.
Of all the cars I've ever had, the X3 is the most fidgety thing on the road without this option.... I am on runflats though so that doesn't help either  :))

Pinewood

upgrading x1 to x3

Post by Pinewood » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:21 pm

I mounted 17" winter wheels and tyres in Nov 2016 and moved back to the  staggered 19' wheels last weekend. The winter rft's were a joy to drive on. Looking for non run flats to put on the summer set.
Last edited by Pinewood on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:17 pm

[quote="Pinewood"]
I mounted 17" winter wheels and tyres in Nov 2106.......
[/quote]

Off a white transit with 'faster than time travel turbo diesel' eh... :P

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
[quote="Pinewood"]
I mounted 17" winter wheels and tyres in Nov 2106.......
[/quote]

Off a white transit with 'faster than time travel turbo diesel' eh... :P
[/quote]

Haha didn't you know my X30d can do time travel?

Sent from my iPhone
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.