Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspected drivetrain noise

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
Neal

Suspected drivetrain noise

Post by Neal » Fri May 04, 2018 10:17 pm

My 2012 30D Msport car has started to make the most horrendous noise from what I suspect to be the front drivetrain. I started to notice a rumbling some months ago whilst it was on winter tyres. Put it up on the ramp expecting to find a wheel bearing gone to be honest, no such luck. The noise would come and go, now it’s here to stay.
I’m back on to brand new summer tyres. The car has always had the correct star marked tyres and they are all at the same tread depth. I’ve adjusted tyre pressures etc all to no avail. It is not engine related, no change in noise according to engine revs. I can knock it in to neutral, let the engine idle and I still get the noise whilst the vehicle is in motion. Gear change is still smooth and quick. Car pulls well, drives otherwise perfectly.

I only drive the car every other weekend and my wife takes absolutely no notice of stuff like this.
I’m suspecting a diff problem but looking for anything common or any recalls for such a thing that I’m not aware of.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

marti

Re: Suspected drivetrain noise

Post by marti » Sun May 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Is it an automatic?

Neal

Post by Neal » Mon May 07, 2018 8:39 am

Yes, the 8 speed Auto.

marti

Post by marti » Wed May 09, 2018 6:53 am

Could possibly be a torque converter judder??....you can get an anti judder additive off eBay which does work...

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 am

I had the torque converter problem but it was only ever at a certain speed and the "DrTranny" stuff off eBay did work for a short time but did prove the lockup clutches in the tic had failed.

Neal

Post by Neal » Sat May 12, 2018 6:14 pm

So, back on the ramp. Could find nothing untoward. Going from experience myself and another guy both agreed that it did sound like a rough wheel bearing. This time the front driveshafts were taken out of the hubs. Spun the wheels up and sure enough, they’re knackered. Drivers side more so so new bearings ordered from BMW. Fingers crossed that’ll be it cured.