Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I hope I haven't bought a dud!

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
StuBeeDoo

I hope I haven't bought a dud!

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 pm

I picked-up my new-to-me F25 this afternoon.  50 miles into the journey home, loads of warning lights come on, and the cruise control went off.  The car still drove fine.  I've got a 3-month warranty on the car, so I'm not too worried, but does anyone have any ideas why the cruise, TPMS, ABS, handbrake, airbags (and probably a couple of others, I'm too tired to remember) would all throw faults at the same time?  I don't think the car has moved very far for at least a couple of months.

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: I hope I haven't bought a dud!

Post by Alan Gunn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:08 pm

A battery problem can do that sort of thing.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:25 pm

I have to say that was my second thought.  First was an ABS sensor because the first "issue" was the ABS light coming on.  Then when more and more warnings illuminated I started to think battery.  I'm going to go out now and put my multimeter on it.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Get it took back
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 pm

[quote="Reusch"]Get it took back[/quote]

It might come to that.  I'll get the codes read/cleared tomorrow.  I've just checked the battery & alternator voltages and they're 12.5 & 14.1.  I'll check the battery voltage again first thing in the morning, to see if it's draining.

It's actually a similar problem to one I had on my E46 a couple of weeks ago.  That said it had an ABS fault but the following morning it had mysteriously cleared and hasn't come back yet.  It didn't show any stored codes, either.

Bloody modern cars!  >:(

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:22 am

I've just been out and checked the battery again.  The car has been stood 9hrs and the battery voltage has dropped to 12.3

marti

Post by marti » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 am

Battery will be around 12V....only whilst running should it go up to between 13.8 and 14.2

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 pm

marti wrote:Battery will be around 12V....only whilst running should it go up to between 13.8 and 14.2
A Google search came-up with.........
A fully charged battery should read 12.65 volts. A reading of 12.45 volts equals about a 75% charge and is good enough for further testing. Anything less means the battery is low and needs to be recharged.
As I currently have access to diagnostic equipment to register a new battery to the car, but won't have for much longer, I'm going to fit a battery anyway.  The one that's on the car is 6 years old.  Just out of inquisitiveness I'll check the voltage again tomorrow morning, but I really can't believe that a 100-odd mile journey would have left a good-condition battery with 12.5v when the alternator appears to be charging at 14v.
Then if the problem persists I'll have to investigate deeper.  I had the Autel diagnostic on the car this afternoon and it's saying there are no stored codes.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:02 pm

You will only get an accurate battery read if the car is asleep, or battery disconnected.  As soon as it wakes it will put the system under load and drop the voltage.

6-years is approximately the average life of a battery so not bad really  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:01 pm

I had the car on diagnostics this morning.  Loads of errors!  :o

All cleared, but as soon as the car was started-up after the session, the ABS, TPMS & "parking brake only partially operative"(?) warnings came back on.  The cruise control switched-on, but as soon as I tried to set it, went off again.

The weird thing about all this is that the car initially drove at least 50 miles with no problems.  ???

On the diagnostic machine (an Autel, if anyone knows about these things) the ABS error is "left front sensor incorrect type", or some similar wording.  So why didn't it show-up before?

I'm going to remove the l/h/f ABS sensor and inspect it and its environs.  I know the TPMS (somehow) runs through the ABS, so I'm fairly sure that sorting the ABS issue cure that too.  As the dashboard message about the ABS says "please drive moderately" I suppose that it's possible the car will disable the cruise if it doesn't think you are driving moderately.

The one that's puzzling me is the parking brake.  There weren't any faults stored for that.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Had the same on my X3 although E83, it was rthe ABS reluctor ring had corroded on the drive shaft and took out the OSR ABS sensor.
Error codes flashed up 15 faults
Renewed ABS reluctor ring and ABS sensor, all sorted. PX'd the car within a month
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:46 pm

SORTED!  :)
Fitted a new n/s/f ABS sensor, cleared the codes, 5 mile test drive, checked the codes again - none at all.

threeshoes

Post by threeshoes » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 pm

[quote="StuBeeDoo"]
I picked-up my new-to-me F25 this afternoon.  50 miles into the journey home, loads of warning lights come on, and the cruise control went off.  The car still drove fine.  I've got a 3-month warranty on the car, so I'm not too worried, but does anyone have any ideas why the cruise, TPMS, ABS, handbrake, airbags (and probably a couple of others, I'm too tired to remember) would all throw faults at the same time?  I don't think the car has moved very far for at least a couple of months.

TIA
Stuart.
[/quote]

You have 6 months from a dealer/trader, not 3 months.  It has to be fit for purpose from a dealer.  I hope that it all works out.
F25 X3 xDrive20d xLine, Navigation Professional, Pan roof, Deep Sea Blue and black dakota leather, adaptive LED headlights, reversing camera etc . . .

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Did the dealer pay for it
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.