Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stereo Volume Randomly Up or Down

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
carlos50

Stereo Volume Randomly Up or Down

Post by carlos50 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi all

The volume of my stereo randomly turns up or down quite noticeably and without any sort of pattern, it just happens as I'm driving along. It doesn't seem linked to speeding up or slowing down, it can just go really quiet all of a sudden. It will turn back up no problem but its as if the reception has been affected or something but the sound is the same just quieter.

Haven't tried it with CD's yet to see if it still does it, that's my next step.

Id say in the 8 weeks or so that i have owned it its happened about 5 or 6 times. It will be very difficult to reproduce for the monkeys at the garage so had hoped to point them in the right direction.

Anyone ever hear about this or have it happen to them on their BMW?

Thanks

Carl

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Stereo Volume Randomly Up or Down

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 23, 2012 1:14 pm

They certainly do change volume at certain speed points - 30mph is one - but I've not until now heard of one doing it randomly. If it's not a faulty steering wheel button or volume controller, and not related to any particular speed it will be a SOB to find..........and BMW GB will probably blame your battery too (sorry being cynical about the lack of progress on mine).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

carlos50

Post by carlos50 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Completely understand the cynical view.

Ive had that for many years and have to admit that i always thought Range Rover needed to catch up with BMW but i dont think that anymore :o

The volume was nice and loud coming home then dropped to very quiet suddenly, the only thing i noticed was i went under a telephone wire on the country lane at what seemed the same time, perhaps it is a signal problem?

After spending over 1.5 hours at the local dealers on Friday only to find the dozy c*w at the service desk had ill-advised the tech such that he was looking for something completely different, i dont want to go back so will live with it.

More BMW dissapointment :thumbsdown:

doc4246

Post by doc4246 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:36 pm

As I'm not sure if your volume issue is specific to using the radio tuner or not and in particular the FM mode or not - this is possibly unrelated but I'm currently using a 3 series loaner from the BMW main dealer who is servicing my car...

My car doesn't have a DAB radio - but this loaner has, and I have noticed that whilst listening to the same FM station...at various times the volume suddenly/instantly goes louder or quieter...almost as if the DAB radio is receiving the signal from another transmitter at a different range.

This is not something I've experienced with the analogue radio in my car....usually as I drive beyond the range of a FM station (and beyond RDS) the analogue signal just fades away with only just the odd peaking increase of the signal (probably atmospherics) until its gone altogether...a digital signal would not normally do this.

As I'm going the same speed it's nothing to do with the speed regulated volume setting etc.

I've tried to notice the difference in the signal strength bars shown on the screen's display - but they generally go up and down anyway...
2007 (57) MY07 Titanium Silver E70 X5 SE 5S 4.8i V8 Auto

carlos50

Post by carlos50 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Mine doesn't have DAB does sounds as you have descrbed. I'm going to take note of the surrounding area when it happens next and also try LW stations and CD / MP3 to see if its only radio, which I'm of the opinion that it will be.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 pm

The DAB/FM volume change makes sense if you have the 'auto-change' function selected in the iDrive so the car shifts from DAB to FM if it doesn't get a good enough digital signal. If the two functions have their volumes set differently I have noticed a change in volume in the X6 (I do have DAB and the auto switch selected), but with you not having DAB that's obviously not the answer in this case....

Changes in VHF FM signal strength shouldn't do it because that's not the way FM modulation works (it just gets noisy in weak areas) although that level change will happen on AM broadcasts (MW/LW).

A good puzzle this one..... :scratchhead:

You don't happen to drive past a broadcast radio transmitter station on your travels do you?

carlos50

Post by carlos50 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:40 am

A member of the Xbimmers forum suggested turning off TP which seems to have helped, it hasnt turned up or down for a few trips now so fingers crossed.

I have to say that now im using the paddles more and the gearbox seems to be learning the driving style the X6 is starting to feel much better. I think i should take back what i have been saying, it is becoming a lovely car to own. :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Sssshhhhh!! It's a BMW, it'll hear you!! :? They're sensitive things, didn't you know?

Seriously though, glad things are improving. I find I use the paddles when planning an overtake as it just adds that much more to the driving experience.

Interesting about the TP though. I know the volume goes up and down as the bulletins go on and off. There is a way of setting all the volumes the same but not having the car (or book) to hand I can't go and look. Been gone two weeks now and still no progress!