Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Avtar's flaps!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Black X5

Avtar's flaps!

Post by Black X5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Title could sound a bit naughty- but only to those that way inclined!  :o

Avtar- apparantly your car has something called the S1CBA option- cunningly listed as 'CO2 equipment'.

I found the part trawling real oem here

I may be totally wrong, but I'm guessing it's to do with getting the early SDs into the emmissions band. 

IIRC Squaky2's car is a bit newer than yours but did not have them- BMW must have worked out a way to reduce the emmissions through ECU reprogramming and/ or small engine mods by then.

I couldn't find any further info googling the S1CBA code- others may have better luck.  Hopefully mystery now solved!  :)
E70 3.0D SE, Black with Black - Gone but not forgotten!  >:D

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Avtar's flaps!

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Nice find.  More to the point - do they actually work, and did you want some?
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Black X5

Post by Black X5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Not sure how much they help as part of the no doubt extensive list of ther mods done at the same time... but yes, secretly I did wish I had them.  :o

And I think Squeaky2 did too!  :))

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:43 pm

So, a large piece of cardboard with rectangular cut-outs, covered in a black bag with slits in so as to let the air through when moving it is then :))
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Funnily enough just dropped the X off at Park lane BMW for its "comfort upgrade" and brake fluid change and set the service guy a challenge to try and explain it.

Had to point out what i was talking about and then showed him the other two 3.0sd's that were in the car park with the flaps.

Is just very strange how it doesnt matter on the model variant but does seem to have something to do with the options list.

Hopefully i might get an answer but im not holding my breath

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Now I was reckoning on a cooling/heating option.  Whether is has something to do with the AC, Climate options, blah blah blah.  It would be good to see if there is an answer to the conundrum. :)

Black X5

Avtar's flaps!

Post by Black X5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm

I originally thought it was something to do with the increased towing capacity option- operated if the second radiator was allowing too much cooling of the engine.

Black X5

Avtar's flaps!

Post by Black X5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 pm

[quote="Rusty Nail"]
So, a large piece of cardboard with rectangular cut-outs, covered in a black bag with slits in so as to let the air through when moving it is then :))
[/quote]

This reminds me of my student days. Going back home from uni with a few friends, (back upto the real world- Yorkshire!) middle of January, sleet, my CVH engined MKII Fiesta, and the three of us freezing our n&£s off due to the engine overcooling. A quick stop, some old cardboard and voila, the cabin temp nearly reached double figures. Those were the days!

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Got the X back from BMW park lane and im still none the wiser over the flaps except this that i found on tinter web

Active Aerodynamics
Actively controlled air flaps regulate air flow to the engine and braking systems. By opening and closing these flaps, the engine is able to reach its operating temperature quicker, whilst vehicle drag is also reduced– helping the car move through the air more easily and reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

No i just need to do a member survey and see when these were introduced.    Parklane are saying that its down to the age of my car which cant be right so ill just have to keep searching