Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speakers upgrade wiring help

How-To articles ONLY go here.
bamberjim

Speakers upgrade wiring help

Post by bamberjim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi all

Hope i am posting in the right section?

Car 2005 x5 3.0d sport

I am going to upgrade my speakers and wanted to know how the current system works before removing the door panels and getting stuck..

i currently have the 6 speaker system

i have a BM54 which has just been upgraded to stage 2 amp by Bavis and am planning on components in the front doors and 2 ways in the rear doors, i have had 2 RCA's fitted to the BM54 unit for a Sub

Questions

Dash mounted Speakers

1. The dash mounted Tweeters, what are they powered off as i pressume the BM54 has 4 channels 1 for each door so what powers the tweeters in the dash?
2. I have a set of spare Tweeters from a previous install would it be worth swapping them over for the these? if so would i need to use a Crossover or is there one already incorporated into the wiring?
3. is it best to just disconnect and forget these?

Front Doors

Components to go in here, i plan to cut the old driver connector off and and run into a crossover then to put the Speakers in the factory door locations which seems pretty straight forward

1. Can i just take the signal off the 2 speaker wires going to the driver connect them to the Crossover then Speakers or should i connect the Crossover in the boot (speakerwires) presumming i have a factory loom already in the door for the tweeter?

Rear Doors

Plan is to fit 2 way Coaxials

1. Is this just a simple remove the OEM connector and fit spades then attach to new speakes?

Sorry for all the questions, just dont want to be caught out with all the panels off and not be able to use the car as i cant work out the wiring.

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice

Regards Jim